1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

DIY: Rebuilding a Trac-Lok LSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009 | 10:39 PM
95_318SLT
|
Champion

Originally Posted by skyshark186
Dude.....if its there the tires will react the same. Its a physical process, it doesnt really matter if the clutches are spooled or not. There are 2 different types of forces at work in the different types of carriers. Just do the process I mentioned and youll know in less than 5 minutes with no mess at all.
Well, there is one situation where that isn't true.... if the clutches are broken. The axle used in my write up had a blown up clutch pack and behaved like an open diff. But you'll know if you have broken clutches cause they'll start tearing apart the insides of the axle housing!! But I agree, even worn clutches will spin both tires the same direction when there is that little force on the system.

And my build sheet didn't cost me anything... requested it by email and received it by email. Although, nowadays half the stuff on it doesn't apply anymore :P

Old 11-04-2009 | 11:06 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Your right. I suppose if the system was totally fragged it may behave like an open diff. I would think you would have some noticable side effects from it though. And even with one blown clutch the other should still hold enough to make it spin the same direction. Maybe not......guess if they were both fubared. Seems unlikely. Spose it could happen though.

Ok...fine. In 95% of instances if you jack your axle up and spin one tire if they rotate the same direction you have an lsd, if oposite you MOST LIKELY have an open diff. If you pull your diff cover and have black crappy fluid with a bunch of chunks in it, you probably HAD an lsd at one point.

Old 11-04-2009 | 11:44 PM
95_318SLT
|
Champion

LMAO!! I like that explanation!

You're right though, the other side's clutches should compensate with that little bit of force on it (without the weight of the truck). I guess mine was completely blown out when I got it! Thats why it was so cheap though :P

Old 11-05-2009 | 08:16 AM
jnracing

well my truck if i jack my truck up and spin one tire other tire spins opposite if i start the truck up and put it in drive both rears spin if i floor it both rear tires spin on loose gravel opened it up it is limited slip you have to have a certain speed before mine engages

Old 11-05-2009 | 08:43 AM
95_318SLT
|
Champion

Limited slip differentials don't work that way. They are 100% mechanical systems and aren't dependant on anything but the torque transferring through them. It's common for an open differential to spin both if both wheels have the same traction. Did you actually see the clutch packs when you took the cover off? Are you sure it wasn't some kind of automatic locker a PO may have installed?

Quick Reply: DIY: Rebuilding a Trac-Lok LSD