1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What Happened/did you do, to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Happened/did you do, to your truck today?

Basically speaking this thread is about what its titled, well anyways today after i took my sister to where my dads girl friend lives when i was leaving one of my belts snapped, flung another off and flipped one, the second alt/water pump/A/C snapped, the water pump/crank/smog pump was the one that flew off and water pump/crank/power steering was twisted, after looking at them we (me and my dad) decided that wed be better off getting all new belts since all but one were pretty cracked, well i had to go to all the crap they were doin that i didnt plan on doing today and after we got our tools and new belts to her place we pulled the Dakota into her garauge (it was dark by this time) and took what we needed to apart, and that basically speaking takes to ****ing long to do, and what sucks is that 2 belts were the wrong size so now we have to get it all apart again because there the first 2 to put in, well probably do it once we finally get to the oil change,

well thats what went on for me today, lets hear about what went with others of you today about what happened or what ya did with your truck

Old 11-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang that sucks. I hate non serpentine belt setups! For me today I did nothing to the truck. Damn work! Tomorrow, probably just use it to haul the family and dogs to the park.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a buddy shot six pheasants and a prairie dog(lol....my m4 was bored). Got some scouting done for deer season. Ate pheasant cassidias for supper. Its hard to think of a better day. Course....friday I shot a pheasant and a turkey, so Ill be eating good for a little while. And seasons just starting.

The trucks sits sadly neglected for now. I need to find a center hood latch so I can drive the jeep. Im picking up a set of 35x12.5r16.5 bfg ats on some sweet aluminum rims for 225 bucks this week. Im going to run 37x12.5r16.5 hummer takeoff goodyear muds, so I needed the 16.5's, and I may run the bfgs as my "road trip" tires.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshark186
Im picking up a set of 35x12.5r16.5 bfg ats on some sweet aluminum rims for 225 bucks this week. Im going to run 37x12.5r16.5 hummer takeoff goodyear muds, so I needed the 16.5's, and I may run the bfgs as my "road trip" tires.
I sure hope those HD axles can handle those small tires. JK. That is going to look sick!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Lol. Yeah well. 44's would look like a matchbox monster truck.

I think by the time I get the front axle an inch further foreward than stock, chop the front fender right below the lights and modify a few other things it should have a darn near even approach angle. I cant run canyons with anything this long that has more than a 4" depth from grille to tire. It just makes a shovel.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 AM
grswat
Veteran

Been pheasant hunting in Nebraska a couple times. My Dakota sits sleeping in the garage with battery tender on and sta-bil in the gas.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Bump
Veteran

Well, Yesterday anyway.
Changed oil and fluid in front and rear diffs. Acquired dual 4' antennas that I need to make some mounts for.
Did I say I hate changing oil on this damn truck!? Takes me 15 minutes to do my durango and I dont spill a drop. This truck takes me atleast 45 minutes and 15-20 shop towels! Thinking about pulling the motor next time to get the oil filter out.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
festerw
Veteran

Bump, I've got the same problem easiest way I've found is to put a jack (with a block of wood of course) under the transmission pan and jack it up. You can then pull the filter out through the top without any significant spills.

I finally finished up my plenum replacement yesterday, broke 4 vacuum lines, PCV valve, PCV line, PCV grommet, broke the neg battery connector (seriously how often does that happen), radiator hose clamp and bent the crap out of the EGR tube. All that stuff came along with a u-joint replacement, water pump and the intake gasket set also flushed the cooling system and changed the oil. I should do the F+R axles but the thought of scraping more gaskets makes me want to vomit at this point.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM
skyshark186
Captain

The front and rear diff covers can be done with RTV...... no worries about tossing gaskets

I feel ya though. Im doing the kegger mod right now to my builder 360, and I have the intake with the huge rib in the middle. I found it easiest to take a sawzall and cut down as far in the runner as you can 4-5 times. Then use a hammer and lightly tap the fins you create with the cuts and they will break relatively uniformely between your cuts. It saved me a TON of time with a dremel. I still need to go back and clean it up, but it was SOOOOOO much faster this way. Even with the reinforced dremel wheel that aluminum puts up a fight.

Did you do the mod while you were in there?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM
festerw
Veteran

I know all about the RTV for the axles, I'm just tired of scraping gasket or RTV LOL.

Didn't do the mod, never even thought about it I was just tired of all the pinging and burning oil.

Quick Reply: What Happened/did you do, to your truck today?