1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Source for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BUMP !

Anyone have any experience with the AAC, stockinteriors.com carpets ?
From what I understand stockinteriors.com get's theirs from AAC.

Some reviews in other auto forums say they were not moulded correctly.
I have seen a lot of comments saying to not bother with the "massbacking" option, due to fitting problems. Better to just buy padding/insulation separately.

Do any of the carpets out there come with the piece for the back of a standard cab ?

Any suggestions ?
I have a 90 Dak Convertible 4x4 that I'm redoing.

Thanks !

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definately wait...as I saw this thread come up I am in the process of emailing them right now about the carpet they (Stock Interiors) sent me. It isn't made right and won't fit in properly. It did come in an AAC box. The heel pad is half way up my transmission hump and the rest of it will not fit the floor pan properly.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Ugh... not good.
I've read some reviews saying they are good... some not.
Even if they stand behind their products,my concern is the whole "ship it back repeatedly" issue, since I'm in Canada.

Thanks for the reply dbilik ! I'll stay tuned ! Good Luck !

Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

So far customer service at stock interiors seems to be really good. I will let you know how it turns out. Here is a photo, the drivers side just doesn't fit, the heel pad is off as you can see and it can't touch the floor pan. The molded portions are not completed properly. I'm hoping it is just a bad carpet I got and not their mold.

Last edited by dbilik; 09-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Applehugger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try:
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/1994-to...mat-p-490.html, or
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/1994-to...pet-p-952.html

I've read good reviews about the site but haven't used them personally.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Thanks for the reply Applehugger.

After lookking at that site....
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/WLS-inf...rpet-info.html

If you look at the extreme bottom of the page.... it says in tiny print..."carpets provided by AAC"

It's starting to look like most, if not all, aftermarket carpet retailers are selling ones made Auto Custom Carpets. So it seems we may get varying prices but not much difference in quality from a lot of the suppliers.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

After looking into it more it looks like stock interiors may have mis labeled their web site. They say they sell carpet for a 4WD extended cab truck, but ACC claims to not have that mold. They only have a mold for 2WD extended cab. I just called and confirmed and it is wrong on their website.

So everyone knows, apparently the 2WD cab is different than the 4WD cab, at least in the transmission hump. I am guessing if you had a 2WD truck or regular cab the stock interiors carpets would probably work for you.

And keep an eye open for my new thread starting this weekend....bed lining the cab of your truck. At this point, it seems there is no way to replace the carpet unless I find somone parting a truck or a junk yard.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

I found a source for it, newark auto, claim they make a carpet for 4wd and extended cab. I will order it and see if it works and report back. Waiting on my color samples now.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by dbilik

So everyone knows, apparently the 2WD cab is different than the 4WD cab, at least in the transmission hump.
I find that a bit puzzling.
From your photos it looks like the pad runs too far up the section of the hump for the transmission itself, not where the transfer-case would be.
But they would be different in some way... at least the ACC website shows different carpet for 2wd vs 4wd

I recently discovered that there is a difference between the 1990 cabs with buckets and bench seats. The bench seats have a metal section welded to the cab that creates a raised rectangular box that runs the width of the cab seating. The seats' front frame bolt into it. BUT, the bench seat version has 2 small metal brackets (one on each side) for the front seat frame.
(there is also a difference in the outboard seatbelt mounting hole)
This "box section" would require a raised section in the carpet, across the whole width of the cab, whereas, the bench version would not.
This would affect fit. (although it's under the seat so it wouldn't be so noticeable.

I assume this is for all 1990 dakotas, but I may be wrong. It could simply be a change made early in the model year, between 89 and 90.
The box section would work for both seat types, so I have no idea why they would bother having different brackets.
Next time I'm in a wrecking yard I'l have to take a look at a few trucks and see if the difference is consistant

Update on the bucket vs bench difference:
The Difference appears to be due to model year changes. I looked at some Dakotas in wrecking yards (while looking for a engine wiring harness).
All the 1990 trucks, bench or bucket, have the box channel section. The one 1989 truck I could find had the single small brackets for the bench seats.
END result..... The carpets are different for the trucks ealier than 1990. since they don't have to go over the raised box channel section that the 1990 (and later ?) trucks have

Last edited by RobertMc; 07-07-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Update on Carpet for back of cab....

Got an email back from Auto Custom Carpets, customer support:
Quote:
"I received your email about the 1990 Dodge Dakota pickup, and on some of the trucks, the end piece may be a bit long so that it may go up partially on the wall. If you want the entire rear wall to be covered, you would have to buy material by the yard."

So there you have it. If you have a standard cab with the carpet on the back wall, you need to buy additional carpet.

Quick Reply: Source for carpet