1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Source for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbilik
I found a source for it, newark auto, claim they make a carpet for 4wd and extended cab. I will order it and see if it works and report back. Waiting on my color samples now.
It appears that Newark Auto carries the carpet from "Trim Parts", a GM licensed restoration parts manufacturer. That bodes well for the quality.

You can order direct from Trim Parts, but their dealers may have better pricing.
Trim Parts' list price is $175.10 for the 1st gen dakotas, no matter if they are extended cab or not.
Trim parts' catalog says "freight free on orders over 50"
Since I'm outside the lower 48, I'm stuck for shipping, so the closer the shipper is, the better for me. (as opposed to a small price difference)

I just got my samples from them, and based on the ones I got.... Series 800 Nylon Cut Pile, color 8019 Med Opal is the closest to the factory grey in the 1990 Dak Convertibles.

I'll also be ordering matching custom fitted mats and an extra yard of carpet for the back of the "regular cab". That way the color with be 100% consistent throughout the cab. (i'll be sourcing rubber mats locally for those dirt days)

I'm going to get it with their standard backing, which is by all accounts, much easier to install than carpet with so called "mass backing". I'd rather put padding in separately. That way, it's easier to "adjust" the moulded carpet with a steam iron if needed.

I have inquired about their foil backed, heat shield/sound deadener.
I have some 1/8" thick high end closed cell foam padding left over from a laminate flooring install, so I may end up using that.
I don't want to use the original felt, since that just holds moisture, and that is the last thing you want on the floor of a convertible.

I'll post more info as I get it.

Cheers

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
mopar422
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a while back summit racing had a vinyl floor.

Quick Reply: Source for carpet