1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Various questions (Be prepared, big post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Auron
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by comingbackdown
About the vandals:
Here in Ohio, people tend to be pansies. Plain and simple, I want these kids in jail. If I go out there and get my hands on 'em, that's where they'll be going. If they're packing anything and they pull it on me, they'll be leaving via body bag. I will not tolerate this kind of crap from some punk kid who thinks he owns the world.

If I find out it's somebody I actually know doing that, lemme put it this way.
I have a baseball bat, and they have knees...

^ this is good but as shadow said dont hit them after you break them andclaim you thought they where going to break in to your car
manual in 06 thats perty good my granpappy taught me the summer of 99 havent bought an automatic since

Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Chris0908
Professional

I always learned, shoot first ask questions later. Come on my property try and take something that don't belong to you or break into my vehicle and see how many pieces of lead come after you. Or my girlfriends brother in law says "How fast can you run 300 yards?" Jehovah's don't come to my house no more after I came to my door with my 1911 on the side of me getting ready to go to work.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay guys keep this on topic!!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Auron
Veteran

it is though its dakota defence talk

Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
comingbackdown
Default Fuel Gauge

I now have a functional fuel gauge! You'll never guess what was up with it.
I should've snapped pictures... Oops.
The sending unit has three wires running to it. Two of these run to contacts on the face of the unit. On the float arm there are two contacts on a small flexible copper arm. Those two small contacts were covered in grime. However, one of them still wasn't making constant contact even after being cleaned, according to resistance readings that I took. Upon careful visual inspection, it was found that the one not making contact was intermittently completely out of contact with the contacts on the unit body face.

So... I don't believe this is an aftermarket unit... Here we go.
Disassembly:
Unplug all the wires. Those were the most stubborn spade connectors I've ever seen.
Remove the float arm. Snap on, snap off. (I see joke fodder!)
Remove the mounting screws, remove the unit.
Now, the float arm and the copper contact arm are mounted to the same piece.
It rotates on a metal pin. Carefully drive the metal pin out of the unit body with a very small punch or a blunted nail.

There you go. After that, we bent one of the two pieces of the contact arm and made a visual check for metal to metal contact.

Replace the contact arm, press the pin back in, reassemble and you're good to go.

IT WORKS!

Now... My commentary:
I HATE quick connect fuel fittings. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE! I preferred the older all metal... If you couldn't get a metal fitting out, cut the line, pull the tank remove the fittings from the pump, fix the damage. Don't get me wrong, quick connect fittings are great... when you can GET THEM OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE... For one of 'em, it took three pairs of hands. Me, my dad, and my best friend. One to spot, one to press the tabs, one to pull the lines off. Instead of being oriented so that the tabs were accessible from the sides, they were oriented top and bottom. You can't get a tool under the connector. You could barely slide a needle file in there, much less a tool that'll actually press the tab. I was the one pulling on the line. When it came off, it came off big time. My friend had just finished a sentence and closed his mouth. If that line had come off one second earlier, he would've had a mouthful of gasoline. As it was, his lips and his glasses got plastered with it.

Oh well. At least this was easier than replacing the fuel pump on my friend's old Ranger he used to have... You wanna talk about Murphy's law... That was proof of Murphy's Law in action.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM
veejr
Amateur

Can someone tell me which is the power wire to the fuel pump at the tank? I've fixed the wires under the hood. The relays all check good and still I have intermittent fuel pump issues. This is for my 93 Dakota 2wd. I plan to run a seperate relay for the fuel pump.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by veejr
Can someone tell me which is the power wire to the fuel pump at the tank? I've fixed the wires under the hood. The relays all check good and still I have intermittent fuel pump issues. This is for my 93 Dakota 2wd. I plan to run a seperate relay for the fuel pump.
Look in the FAQ in this section. We have the wiring diagrams. Also don't be scared to start a new thread insted of pulling up an old one.

Quick Reply: Various questions (Be prepared, big post)