1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Having a problem with my 94 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
brndnbess
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a problem with my 94 dakota

HI, having a bit of an issue with my 94 dodge dakota V6. In the morning I go out and start the truck, it runs for about 10 minutes then dies. Usually have to wait 4 or 5 minutes before I'm able to restart it. It will do this until the truck reaches operating temps and then it is usually fine. Latly it has been getting worse, to the point where I can't drive the truck. I checked the fuel pressure and it is fine. The distributor, cap, rotor and plugs were all changed about a year ago. Changed the ignition coil about a week ago. No CEL lights are on. When it dies its like power is just completly cut off to it. Battery and altenator have been tested and they are ok. Any ideas?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to DodgeForum! You should post in the 1st generation dakota subforum for more help... most people don't check the general dakota page.

Check the power splice that supplies power to the ASD and fuel pump. If it looks corroded, clean and resplice it and see if that fixes it. There is a good write up about this issue in the faq page in the 1st gen dakota subforum.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...71332-faq.html

If that doesn't work, you should start testing and replacing sensors. The IAC, TPS, MAP, ECT, and IAT all come to mind. For testing procedures of the sensors, check faq2 for download links for the FSM.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...0364-faq2.html

Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 1st Gen. for you.

Quick Reply: Having a problem with my 94 dakota