1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tune Up Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummmmmm..... Thats kinda what I've been saying this whole time. Motorcraft makes parts for Ford and their sister brands (lincoln, mercury, etc.). Just like mopar makes parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep, and GM makes parts for all of GM. These are not aftermarket products, these are the OEM products for each of the companies they represent.

For aftermarket companies, there are only a handful of actual manufacturer's who's parts get branded under MANY different names. I can't remember who all makes duralast, valucraft, carquest, napa, etc. But like I said above, Federal Mogul is one of the big ones that makes quality aftermarket parts like moog, fel-pro, etc. Spicer makes drivetrain parts for Dana and has other brands as well.

Things have drastically changed since the 80s!!!!! Companies have risen, falled, been sold, changed contracts, ect. The 80's was 20 years ago.

I'm not just saying stuff without any backup, check This stuff is not at all hard to find.

FWIW, I try to use federal mogul parts on my truck. They are by far the top manufacturers of the part they make.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 12-16-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
mazda7475
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true enough. i found just make sure it's stamped "made in the usa or canada" if not it won't last. i got nothing against mexico, japan or china but i found it just does not have the quality and does not last.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to that!!! The thing that sucks is even finding american made parts is becoming hard to find. Most companies these days are starting to outsource their production lines to other countries for cheaper labor. I just found out the other day that Timpken bearings are starting to do just that... its rediculous. It's becoming harder and harder to find quality parts these days

Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by mazda7475
yep i'm right, ford does make autolite. check wiki

Wiki? Are you kidding? That Bastion of journalism isn't worth the cyberspace it written on.

The birth of Autolite® began in 1911 when two small companies started producing buggy lamps, and became a thriving automotive parts manufacturer by the 1930s. But its history as a spark plug manufacturer began in 1935 when Royce G. Martin, President of the Electric Autolite Company, equipped and staffed a lab to develop the first Autolite spark plug. Leading the project was Robert Twells, a ceramic engineer, who eagerly researched current patents and ceramic insulator technology. With a handful of new draftsman and staff members, it only took a few months before the Electric Autolite Company had a spark plug available for distribution. Autolite had instant success, as the brand supplied spark plugs and other ignition parts to well-known automotive leaders including Chrysler, Studebaker, Packard and ******.

In 1987 Autolight made the first Platinum plug for Ford OE.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

thanks pash, guess that proves where all human. the names change but it's all the same. the only thing i can tell you is you could only by an autolite through ford in the 80's. they probably renamed them for the different companies but it's the same plug.
back to the original question - the bosch platium are the best for the 3.9 v-6. on this one i won't even bother to argue.
slt usa and canada parts are almost impossible to get up here!

Last edited by mazda7475; 12-16-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Tune Up Questions