1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I Need Help Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So we are going blind as far as the fuse panel and some of the wiring goes... gotchya haha

Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 AM
BlackKimera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse blows when the truck starts the second time, when i put it in the first time it worked fine but then the next time i started the truck is when it blew

and it is the 50-Amp Blower Motor Fuse in the Engine bay on the drivers side right in front of the firewall

Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no blower motor fuse in the power distribution center...

The two 50 amps are for the ignition switch and headlamp switch.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM
BlackKimera

On my dakota, on the drivers side hugging the fender right next to the firewall. There is a black box, when you open the top it is full of fuses, only one of which is a 50-Amp fuse,I can post a picture of it later if need be, but that won't be until late tonight. The diagram on the top of the box says that it is the blower motor fuse: now thinking about it, the package the fuse was in called it a fuseable link

Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 PM
WBattack
Rookie

That 50 amp is the ignition, but it also feeds a 12 gauge black/orange wire out of the ignition switch that connects to fuses 1,2,3 in the truck. Which powers HVAC, Power Windows, and Back-up Lamps.

It goes through the bulk head connector in the firewall at pin 50. You should see it as a 10 gauge pink/black on both sides. You might pull the connector apart and check for corrosion.

So, is the only time this fuse blows is when you turn on the head lights? Can you put the fuse in, turn on the heat and the fuse not blow? You can power the windows and the fuse not blow? Yet, each time you use the windows, or put it in reverse the parking brake light comes on? Is the parking brake light coming on with the fuse blown, good, or both? Can you turn the hazards on and not blow the fuse?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
BlackKimera

I'll have to get another 50 AMP fuse. I'll check the hazards and when i put the fuse in I can use heat and windows just fine, and the parking brake light does NOT come on when the fuse is working. The fuse stops working the second time i turn the key normally, before the headlights turn on. I'll check the 10 Guage pink/black this weekend when I can work on it again. My Dad thinks it might be a bad blower.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
oxygen454
Veteran

Im still confused about the headlights?

So when you put the fuse in and the headlights are NOT on, everything works fine? Then when you turn the headlights on, the fuse blows? Or does the headlights always come on?

I might be wrong but if you have heat when your driving and the fuse is working, then I dont think it would be the blower. If it was, I would think the fuse would blow as soon as the heater/blower was turned on?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
oxygen454
Veteran

We need the answers for the questions like WBattack asked please.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
BlackKimera

Ok, here we go
1. About The Headlights
When I turn on the truck, or when I turn the accessories on the first time (both are during the daylight) everything works. The first time I had the new fuse in, I turned on the accessories and the heat worked, I shut it off and turned the truck on later and the fuse blew, no headlights were on. The second time I put a fuse in and I turned on the truck I drove around fine and dandy, but when I get off work and turned the truck on, the fuse was blown (the headlights were OFF when the fuse was discovered to be blown). I don't think the headlights have any connection to the issue.

2. Can you put the fuse in, turn on the heat and the fuse not blow?
Yes

3. You can power the windows and the fuse not blow?
Yes

4. Can you turn the hazards on and not blow the fuse?
I don't know, but when the fuse is blown the Hazards work

5. Is the parking brake light coming on with the fuse blown, good, or both?
Only when it is blown

6. Yet, each time you use the windows, or put it in reverse the parking brake light comes on?
Yes, it also comes on if I turn the blower setting above the OFF setting

7. So, is the only time this fuse blows is when you turn on the head lights?
no, it's usually the second time I turn the ignition (From what I've seen)

::::::::Now here is something my Dad wanted me to point out. Once upon a time in the steering column smoke was coming out. They pulled it apart and put it back together and it stopped. He wanted to know: could this issue be there?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKimera
::::::::Now here is something my Dad wanted me to point out. Once upon a time in the steering column smoke was coming out. They pulled it apart and put it back together and it stopped. He wanted to know: could this issue be there?
Umm, that would have been nice to know in post 1. I'm going to throw out a very likely guess that you had a wire overheat, melt the insulation, and now its grounding out on some bare metal.

Seriously though, there is no reason for this thread to have hit 20 posts. It was answered a long time ago. Get the wiring diagram, locate all wires powered by that 50 amp fuse, and visually inspect them and run connectivity tests on them for the sections of wire you can't see. This is not something any of us can diagnose over the internet. The only way you are going to solve this problem is by looking for it. All we can do is offer the diagrams needed to follow the wiring, and that was done a while ago.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 02-24-2010 at 02:55 PM.