1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intermittent fuel injection trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
brihno360
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent fuel injection trouble

Hi all,

I have had a strange problem with my 1993 4X Dakota (3.9 Liter MPFI):

The truck runs fine mostly but sometimes it will develop a steady, pronounced miss almost like a burnt exhaust valve only it's intermittent. Sometimes if I lug it it will start other times it just happens for no apparent reason.

I did a fuel pressure test with the vacuum line to the pressure regulator unplugged as specified in my Haynes manual and the pump seems to be running about 2-3 PSI above the spec in the book. (around 41 PSI is where it runs at)

My fuel gauge also has quit functioning properly; it will read full when I first fill then later it will read half but other than that it just sits on 'E' all of the time.

I am thinking it may be the pump is bad but that is a pretty expensive guess so any opinions would be appreciated. I like to fix her myself but I may have to eventually take it to a mechanic.

I ran a compression test with not the greatest results but if that were the culprit here wouldn't it be consistent instead of intermittent ?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Have you checked your plug wires, plugs, Cap, rotor?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes a tune up could help. Do you have any codes come up?

The guage is usually a corroded tab on the fuel sending unit.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try running fuel injector cleaner through it. Thats a cheap, easy place to start. Otherwise check the ignition system like mentioned above. Also check the power splice to the ASD and fuel pump relays for corrosion.

As for the gauge problem, its probably not the pump. This is from faq2...
Fuel gauge doesn't work- A common problem in these trucks are gas gauges that put out erroneous readings. (This problem is common to not just the Dakota, but also the Rams, and many other Dodge vehicles) Some people have had luck with running fuel system cleaner (such as "Chevron Techron"), that might at least help the issue. While doing other fuel tank maintenance, erock92kota discovered that the tabs the unit rode up and down on were messed up, he simply snapped them back in place, and his gauge works again.
Unfortunately, at some point, they integrated the fuel sending unit with the fuel pump, so not all years have a separately serviceable sending unit.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

I had a miss in my jeep and drove me nuts cause it was doing exactly what you're saying. One night I stopped on the side of the road to take a leak. And pop the hood. Opened it up and noticed a lightning storm under the hood. Next day, bought wires and plugs. Fixed it.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Clean the system...run a can or two of Seafoam in the gas tank.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Dak92

I agree with tmacdakota. I used that stuff when i first got my Dak and it fixxed just about everything and blew it out the tail pipe, Literally!

Old 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
brihno360
Amateur

thanks for all of the replies guys!
I will examine the ignition parts but I did replace them not too long ago. I have run injection cleaner through the system but I will try the Seafoam thing and see how that does.

Will report back when I have tried the suggestions given here.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know when my truck needed a tune up it would occasionally miss fire. the proble gradually went from occasion miss fire to "what the ****". turned out it was the cap, rotor, and ignition coil... my first suggestion would be to check the cap and rotor to see if it looks burnt or is black on the end and the plugs...if they are replace them or clean them off and they last a bit longer...

Quick Reply: Intermittent fuel injection trouble