1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake and ABS lights on HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and ABS lights on HELP

Both of the Brake and ABS lights are on solid and I can not find any leaks or kinks in the lines. I was recently in a wreck. Does anybody have any ideas where to start looking?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

I should add, the floor underneath the engine/tranny joint is a puddle of brake fluid. The crossmember is soaked and in the engine compartment there are a few spots of brake fluid. I wiped up all the fluid that I saw and then started the truck pumped the brakes at least a dozen times. Turned it off. And checked for fluid anywhere and didnt find any. So I started up the truck again and pumped another dozen or so times and then checked again and still no fluid.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your pedal all the way up? i would say check the fuse and and make sure the pedal isn't soft.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeSupes
I should add, the floor underneath the engine/tranny joint is a puddle of brake fluid. The crossmember is soaked and in the engine compartment there are a few spots of brake fluid. I wiped up all the fluid that I saw and then started the truck pumped the brakes at least a dozen times. Turned it off. And checked for fluid anywhere and didnt find any. So I started up the truck again and pumped another dozen or so times and then checked again and still no fluid.
Lol, did you happen to check to make sure there is still fluid in the resevoir?!?! Just eliminating the obvious.

Have you bled the brakes? I'm going to assume that there is lots of air in the brake lines, and the light is on because the drum springs pulled the shoes in too far because there was no residual pressure to hold the brakes. If the shoes are adjusted in too far, it turns both those lights on.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 03-24-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Yes I checked the reservoir and it nearly full. (its jacked up and on jack stands at the moment) Is it possible that the sudden impact in the front caused the booster to leak at the reservoir?

I will pull off both drums tomorrow and see if adjusting the brakes makes any difference. btw, is it ok to jack up the rear end by placing the jack under the rear differential? I have heard its really bad and that its totally fine.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

SHADOWTHEDAKOTA I OWE YOU A DRINK!!! I checked the #7 fuse and sure enough it was blown. I will continue to check for leaks but replacing the fuse took the lights out!!!

Taking the truck in tomorrow to firestone for a full steering and suspension check and an alignment. Hopefully nothing too serious to fix.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeSupes
btw, is it ok to jack up the rear end by placing the jack under the rear differential? I have heard its really bad and that its totally fine.
Its fine. People say its bad because it puts a huge moment arm (torque) where the axle tubes press into the pumpkin. However, because they are pressed in with an extremely tight tolerance, there should be no play so it shouldn't hurt anything. Some people have claimed the axle tubes have been pulled out of the pumpkin by jacking the vehicle up by the pumpkin, but if that happens, you had bigger problems than jacking the vehicle up from there in the first place.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 03-25-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS lights on HELP