1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Power Loss Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
doctormod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss Issues

So I was hoping to get a little advice about this issue. Every now and then, I can feel a drop in power to the wheels but the engine does not lose revs or sound like it is bogging at all. It tends to happen a little more when it is kind of cold out (I'm in texas so cold is about 60 degrees lol). I also noticed the other night that sometimes when I come out of gear that the engine will not drop revs for a few seconds, sometimes it just hangs there for a few seconds. My truck info is in mah sig, if you happen to have any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I am also going to do a nice tune up within the next few days and I will report back the difference if any. Thanks all!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first thought when I read through that was the radiator fan engaging. The only thing that doesn't fit is that you said it doesn it more when its colder, so that doesn't make a lot of sense.

My second thought was that the A/C compressor kicks on, but why would you have the A/C on when its colder out!

I'll have to think about it more, cause those were the two obvious answers.

But about your idle issue... could be the IAC is hanging open. If could very well be on its way to freezing up. Try taking it out and cleaning it and seeing if it gets better.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
doctormod

Thanks for the reply, I will go out and check the IAC valve and clean it up if needed.

As for the power loss issue, it simply just feels like the power isnt reaching the wheels, I can hear the engine rev and stay revd, but I can tell it's not delivering. If I give it a bit more gas it will pull out of it and the power surges up and feels right. The cold might not be the only time it does it, I just only normally drive early in the morning and late at night. It really feels like more than the fan engaging, too. I can feel and hear when it kicks in. I'll report anything I figure out in case anyone else is having this issue at all.

Thanks all!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Oh ok. So does it feel like the clutch is slipping?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
doctormod

I haven't daily driven a manual in ages, especially on an older vehicle like this but I kinda suspect a bit of clutch (I am in no way an authority on vehicle mechanics, just a hobbyist lol). But it does happen after the clutch has been disengaged and I am fully in gear as well as multiple gears, not just the same gear every time. So I don't know if the clutch would be doing it or not. I am really hoping it is not the trans.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Well the only way for a manual transmission to slip is if teeth are missing off of gears or splines, and that would make for a very consistent problem.

One thing I just thought of... I had this happen once with an old car. If you have a leaking rear main seal, there could be oil getting on your clutch plate.

Or there could be a hydraulic problem with the clutch hydraulic system causing poor engagement.

Do a quick test... put the parking brake on and try to move forward in first and get a feel for how hard the clutch tries to grab.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 AM
doctormod

Ok, so I have done a little more experimenting...the clutch engages just fine from a parked position with the ebrake on. When I do feel the loss of power, if I give it a lot of gas and ride most of the way through the gear, it gives in and applies the power, and doesn't do it again in the next gears. If I just baby it, it will do it again in the next gears. In normal driving situations I will shift at about 1600-2100 rpm with no issues, if I ride first and second gear through atleast 3000 rpm under descent acceleration, I have no issues at all. Also I have yet to research how to check the iac valve, did find out its almost 100 bucks though thanks for all the work in the forums here guys! It is full of tons of helpful info and people! Thanks all!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Naginnarb

I also have a question. Did you check the fluid and see if there are leaks, because this dude right, if you have fluid leaks it very well could be your gears too. With less fluid than normal, the gears cause more heat, being that oil cools them. It is possible a little friction has occured and your teeth could be broken, warped, or worn out.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

There's really no way to actually test it. Just pull it out and try to turn it and if it doesn't turn its locked up and needs to be replaced. I got mine at Autozone for $30 with a 2 year warrenty!

Have you tested your fuel pressure? I can't really see a bad fuel pump being such an inconsistent problem, but why rule anything out at this point!

Also, how about the MAP and TPS... especially the TPS with the way you describe your problem! There are simple tests you can run on these sensors that are listed in the Factory Service Manual (you can download the '95 FSM from the faq thread).

Lol, I can't remember the last time I shifted my truck at that low an RPM! I usually ride it out through 4000+. I'll ride it through 5500 if someone desides to get smart with me at a red light :P

Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
doctormod

so i bought a BUNCH of tune up stuff today and i got under the truck...well, there is a crap ton of oil on the back of the engine and the trans. it seems there has been a slight leak at the valve cover of the left side while facing the engine from the front of the truck. and over time it has covered quite a bit of the area back there with oil. along with the tune up stuff, i got some degreaser and i will report results.

items purchased -

cap and rotor
oil and filter
plugs
wires
pcv
iac
air filter
thermostat and gasket
lucas fuel injector cleaner and engine lube
fuel filter

anything else i missed worth mentioning for a serious tune up on a very driven motor?

Quick Reply: Power Loss Issues