1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Modifications and Custom Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Chris0908
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications and Custom Work

Well a while ago I had posted a thread about a sub box for my 1st Generation, well for about 3 weeks I've been working on it and this is what it has and sounds and looks MINT. This is what my 1996 Dakota Sport has at the moment with pictures. To start off I started with a baseline 1996 Dakota Sport, 5 speed with a Jeeps 2.5 I4 in it tires are Goodyear Wranger 235/70/R15 (went with a taller and wider tire). Still has the same motor and transmission but now it has some style. Auto Meter Voltage, Electric Water Temp, and Air Fuel Ratio gauges, Sunpro Electric Oil Pressure gauge and 5" Sport Comp II Tachometer, Flowmaster 40 Series muffler, with custom exhaust, Memphis Street Edge 16-SE4.50 (50 Watts per channel), Memphis Power Reference 16-PR1.500 (500 Watts to one channel), 2 Memphis Power Reference 15-PR12S4 (Subs), a pair of Memphis Street Edge Tweeters 15-SE1 (put them on the dash for best sound not able to be seen in pics), Infinity REF6032CF Front Speakers, Infinity REF6832CF Rear speakers, Custom Sub Box (PM Me if you would like the measurements) and a Pioneer Premier DEH-P700BT which also is my Bluetooth for while I'm driving, With iPod connection and GEX-P10HD (HD Radio option), Under the hood is a Cold Air Intake I modified from a 1997 Acura Integera and a Optima Yellow Top Battery and the Hood Pins are not there for looks they actually hold my hood down. If there is anything I forgot I know I'll remember one of these days. Sorry for going into detail but I know some people prefer it and answers some questions. Both the Jeep and the Dodge are mine.

Last edited by Chris0908; 05-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Chris0908
Professional

Sorry the pictures have been giving me issues today, keeps saying I exceded the quota. Sorry but a few of the pictures have been posted but not the one with my Jeep next to it

Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sub box looks good, but gotta say, I'm not a fan of the stacks! They don't belong on anything but a diesel, and even then its hard to pull off the look just right. But to each his own!

I do like the hood pins! Can you take some closer pictures of them?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 PM
dakota_pwn

hey is it possible for you to give me the speks of that box because just to fit in my truck i have to move the bench seat all the way back but i want subs sooo kinda a prob

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Chris0908
Professional

I'll PM them to you or just add them to the posting tomorrow when I go back outside with a tape, I had them wrote down but lost the piece of paper. You will have to move the seat up a couple of inch's to use the full size subs, but if you choose to spend $250-$300 for a pancake sub, you can use a truck box. I stand 6'2" and for me it's a tight fit, but WELL WORTH IT! To do the setup I did you will have to mount the Amps under the seat to. That box has just about over 2 feet of airspace in it to, I forgot to mention that. If you use the setup I did and bridge the subs they will hit HARD. Gives a good massage while driving too, love it when double bass is going. But if you are going to use the bench seat like I did, i would HIGHLY suggest getting a couple Grill Guards (plastic ones work good that's what I used) so that when the subs hit they don't pound into your seat and destroy the subs (made that mistake early and caught it with a couple cheap test subs from Wal-Mart lol), I've put alot of thought into what I wanted to do to the truck and the sound system, but if you are in the Connecticut area and would like to look at the setup or hear it first hand your more then welcome to message me and we can work something out. But if you would like to I do have another box I built and carpeted with a couple of Orion subs in it, I'd be willing to sell I only used them for about an hour to see what hit harder with what setup. I think I did 4 box's for 2 subs and this one worked out the best. 2 of them I sold to other Dakota owners in my area without subs. As for the Stack well I did that to make people think I have a diesel because I do plan on taking a washer motor and tank and drilling a hole and tapping it to a switch to spray either coolant or Oil into the pipe to **** off people behind me when they tailgate lol

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Chris0908
Professional

I know I promised a couple things but the weather and wind have been nuts by my house, so tomorrow is suppose to be a decent day so hopefully I can get the pictures done and measurements done.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The subs look good. They got to hit hard. Good job.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Chris0908
Professional

Thanks Crazy4x4RT it means alot coming from you. I might make a YouTube video and put it up of the bass going in the truck with a bottle or something on the roof of the truck and how the seat vibrates and can give a good massage

Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Chris0908
Professional

Well I've been meaning to get some measurements done and a video but the one nice day we had here in Connecticut, and I had a massive issue with my Dakota. On my way out to do some running and shoot a video of the truck for YouTube to put on here, my truck started talking to me, and not in a good way. I started it it was talking up a storm, sounded like a I put a rod threw the block again. Well took it to a friends shop today to see if we could track down the problem. Well he says it's a easy fix, but we all know he's not gonna do the work I am. But we started trying to find where the sound was coming from. Thinking the worst case, THANKFULLY compression was good all 4 cylinders were holding roughly no less then 190psi but no more then 195psi. Well took off the valve cover to listen to the lifters and everything, he says it could either be one of 2 things the rocker arms are shot or the push rods are shot, because it's holding 75psi of oil on the highway not leaking or burning any oil thankfully, started calling around, the push rods some place are INSANELY priced and no one but one place could get anything til Tuesday and I'm not gonna drive the truck around damaged like that (plus the sound is to annoying). But Napa (thank god for them), has the parts locally in there warehouse in Connecticut and are going to have them at the garage for tomorrow morning. So I'm hoping that's all it was was just one of those two things, but all 8 push rods are gonna get replaced tomorrow and same thing with the rockers, total bill including a Valve Cover Gasket by Felpro $72.64 and thats with me doing the work lol. So hopefully I'll have a video of and some more pictures. Next week or tomorrow afternoon

Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Auron
Veteran

for future posts of pics here is a free image hosting site http://www.servimg.com/upload.php?si...6becebda621789

use the direct image link with the insert image command and youre golden

Quick Reply: Modifications and Custom Work