1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Extra fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Az93DKota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra fuel tank

I've been thinking about adding an extra gas tank to the bed of my truck. I was thinking about using an old 50 gallon reefer tank that I can get my hands on dirt cheap. I need to know if its possible to just gravity feed it into our existing tank. I would be able to fill it from the upper tank. And of course, how would I tap it in without catastrophic failure.

I kinda have a problem with picturing this in my head because if you tap the upper tank to the OEM tank. Wouldn't the gas try and escape out the vented OEM cap? I don't understand just yet how would this system work. I was also looking at the space available where the spare tire was mounted. And pictured using a tank from a 5.2L Grand Cherokee which they have the right PSI fuel pumps. But I'm not a big fan of ripping apart good wiring.

Help me out folks. Discuss please.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM
festerw
Veteran

I believe it is illegal to have a tank gravity feed, tank needs to be DOT certified also. Second idea would probably work, supply power to the 2nd tank pump and plumb the line into the fill tube on the the truck. Once the 1st tanks starts to empty flip the switch on and let the 2nd tank fill the 1st.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by festerw
I believe it is illegal to have a tank gravity feed, tank needs to be DOT certified also. Second idea would probably work, supply power to the 2nd tank pump and plumb the line into the fill tube on the the truck. Once the 1st tanks starts to empty flip the switch on and let the 2nd tank fill the 1st.
I didn't know it is illegal. But I could see how gravity feeding it would cause the lower tank to over fill, and the stock tanks are not fully sealed.

I agree to "Once the 1st tanks starts to empty flip the switch on and let the 2nd tank fill the 1st."

But on a side note: I thought the truck was going to your son. Does he want the 2nd tank?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Originally Posted by festerw
Technically the reefer tank is DOT approved. So there's the loop hole. The state doesn't do inspections on vehicles in this county anyways. But I could always find a spare tank and a pump with a nozzle.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
But on a side note: I thought the truck was going to your son. Does he want the 2nd tank?
It will be, but he's not gonna have full ownership of it until he proves responsible enough with it. I will still be able to use it whenever I want. Plus I could always use that setup on a newer Dakota as well.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

Set it up like the old twin tank fords and have a switch to go between tank 1 and tank 2. It would prolly require a little ingenuity in fuel line plumbing, but IMO it could be done...

Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dodge4lyfe
Set it up like the old twin tank fords and have a switch to go between tank 1 and tank 2. It would prolly require a little ingenuity in fuel line plumbing, but IMO it could be done...
I'm sure its do-able but trying to figure it out and make it cost effective. With these lil tanks and big engines. Stopping for gas when I'm in the mood to drive is the only thing annoying about these trucks. Not to mention, gas stations are far apart out here so the extra tank would be helpful.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Auron
Veteran

22 gal is little ..... ok

Quick Reply: Extra fuel tank