1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Here I go again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill55az
112 in Phoenix yesterday....the next "break" is about 2 months from now....
Thats crazy hot! But at least its a dry heat. Its the high humidity that kills us. Makes you start sweating from the second you walk out the door.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 PM
pressyp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got home early enuff to work on figuring out timing truck and after a lot of cussing and referring back to service manual and any mechanics in area I think I figured out my problem. I believe my distributor was in backwards. No where does the manual say that when (like when you rebuild the motor) you are putting on the timing chain set and your marks are lined up that this is TDC on the compression stroke. I have figured it out that it's the exhaust stroke when they are lined up like the book says. Every time I have rebuilt a motor I have set timing marks then when I was ready to set distributor I checked for compression stroke and no 1 at TDC then installed distributor.

THIS IS A WARNING LABEL FOR ALL....DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT use just any available person to help find TDC on compression stroke or you will end up going nuts trying to figure out what happened. I used a half baked retard that couldn't change a tire and he also couldn't tell the difference in compression and exhaust pressure.

So I have a question, Can the computer compensate for being out 180 degrees? This would make sense as truck would run for 10 minutes till warm then start missing and backfiring like as if computer couldn't adjust for what sensors were calling for since the timing would be at it's limit.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pressyp
Well I finally got home early enuff to work on figuring out timing truck and after a lot of cussing and referring back to service manual and any mechanics in area I think I figured out my problem. I believe my distributor was in backwards. No where does the manual say that when (like when you rebuild the motor) you are putting on the timing chain set and your marks are lined up that this is TDC on the compression stroke. I have figured it out that it's the exhaust stroke when they are lined up like the book says. Every time I have rebuilt a motor I have set timing marks then when I was ready to set distributor I checked for compression stroke and no 1 at TDC then installed distributor.

THIS IS A WARNING LABEL FOR ALL....DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT use just any available person to help find TDC on compression stroke or you will end up going nuts trying to figure out what happened. I used a half baked retard that couldn't change a tire and he also couldn't tell the difference in compression and exhaust pressure.

So I have a question, Can the computer compensate for being out 180 degrees? This would make sense as truck would run for 10 minutes till warm then start missing and backfiring like as if computer couldn't adjust for what sensors were calling for since the timing would be at it's limit.
hmm, so it is supposed to be the exhaust stroke?
i'm asking for future reference

Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 AM
pressyp

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
hmm, so it is supposed to be the exhaust stroke?
i'm asking for future reference
No where in the manual does it say which one your setting initial timing at. Usually after setting this your suppose to rotate assembly to check that everything lines up, then find TDC on #1 cylinder on compression stroke. If anyone can find something different before I button up motor I would appreciate it.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Bkilla
Amateur

TDC is when the spark plug would go BANG, that why you line up the dist with cyl #1 as well when you finally have TDC 'found' thats where you set the initail timing from. I dont think that the ECU has enough in it to figure out that it's 180* off and be able to adjust every thing, and chances are that you wouldn't be perfectly 180* off and your pistions are going to come out and play with your valves.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
pressyp

Originally Posted by Bkilla
TDC is when the spark plug would go BANG, that why you line up the dist with cyl #1 as well when you finally have TDC 'found' that's where you set the initial timing from. I don't think that the ECU has enough in it to figure out that it's 180* off and be able to adjust every thing, and chances are that you wouldn't be perfectly 180* off and your pistons are going to come out and play with your valves.
I am saying that my distributor was 180 out as it is keyed instead of a gear at bottom of it.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional

According the haynes manual, it should be set to the #4 TDC.
just for anyone who is reading this like me 6 months later.