1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Here I go again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM
pressyp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here I go again!!!

Well I finally got a break in the heat to start working on truck again so I started tearing into taking off timing chain cover to see how bad timing chain was stretched and after lining up timing mark on cover and checking that distributor was pointing at number one I pulled off cover and found that my marks were both at the top of both gears not pointing at each other at the bottom of cam gear and top of crank gear. Aren't these suppose to be pointing at each other when at top dead center? It's a 1995 3.9L.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, not entirely sure. this would be good to know when i get mine done...lol i think the marks are supposed to be pointing at each other, atleast thats how i've always known it to be.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM
festerw
Veteran

The FSM (from what I see anyway) doesn't mention anything about having the engine at TDC for replacing the timing set just making sure the marks are lined up.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by festerw
t just making sure the marks are lined up.
you don't want to do that if your replacing the timing chain and gears, in case the timing was off. when setting everything to tdc make sure piston 1 is at tdc on the compression phase(both valves closed)

if the piston is at tdc on the compression phase then the two marks on the gears will line up.

*make sure that when everything is set to tdc on the compression phase that the rotor in the distributor is in the correct spot(not sure if its supposed to be on the piston #1 mark or before)

not completely sure on the v6/v8 but i know the 2.2l and 2.5l chrysler motors the distributor is turned to advance the timing but has to be reset to tdc when replacing the belt(which is the flat side parallel to the motor) and then advanced to 12* btdc.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Bkilla
Amateur

I have a buck that says you have the wrong cylinder as cylinder #1 or plan B the last person that installed the timing set used a different cylinder as cylinder #1. Turn the block over untill the marks line up and see what cylinder is a TDC.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pressyp
Well I finally got a break in the heat to start working on truck again...
Lucky you! I'm still waiting for a break in the heat around here. Its been in the upper 90s and 70-80% humidity for weeks. Theres a reason I haven't done anything with my dakota for a while now. I can't even stand still outside in the shade without soaking in sweat.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
pressyp

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Lucky you! I'm still waiting for a break in the heat around here. Its been in the upper 90s and 70-80% humidity for weeks. Theres a reason I haven't done anything with my dakota for a while now. I can't even stand still outside in the shade without soaking in sweat.
I hear ya, been the same way here. I lucked out with a thunder storm going on all morning... still stinking hot just no sun beating down on you.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
bill55az
Veteran

112 in Phoenix yesterday....the next "break" is about 2 months from now....

Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 AM
pressyp

Originally Posted by Bkilla
I have a buck that says you have the wrong cylinder as cylinder #1 or plan B the last person that installed the timing set used a different cylinder as cylinder #1. Turn the block over untill the marks line up and see what cylinder is a TDC.
I am at the same idea too. Just need to find out which it is.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:38 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

try rotating it 1 revolution and see if they line up. i had that happen once on my truck when my mechanic and i were checkin the timing. if they do line up, do what bkilla said and check which cylinder is tdc.

and bkilla, you shave have said $100 to make more...lol