1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

6 of 8 plugs replaced and can't change the oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 of 8 plugs replaced and can't change the oil

Sup Forum,

So today we started a mini tuneup. Plugs, PCV Valve, Oil and filter. Typical stuff nothing fancy. I love when the normal stuff is a PITA...

So there are 2 plugs in the #4 and #8 that for some reason the wrench will not seat down over them. It protrudes from the metal heat shielding unlike the rest where it sat flush. I am not sure why this is. I cant see any blockage or anything around them but for some reason it just doesnt want to sit down in there!

Next thing i found when we were going to do the oil. The Prev. owner installed a quick oil change plug. It's like a Schroeder valve and when you press it in the oil comes out. Issue is i cant sit under there and wait for it all to drain w a screw driver! lol

So i think i am going to try and find a new oil plug to put in it cuz this one is lame.

Oh yea, guess what i found in the oil fill.... the Prev Owner had an issue with the oil fill cap apparently because it was wrapped in DUCT TAPE. Nasty duct tape that was all deteriorating and gross. I ran to the junk yard and bought a new one for a dollar.

Anyway thats all for now, will keep updating as things arise.
Laters!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Penetrating oil and a deeper socket. Sounds like you're making progress. How did the other plugs look?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
festerw
Veteran

Get a pair of vice grips and pull the heat shields off then you'll be able to clean all the crap away from the plugs and get the socket to seat, they don't really seem to make any difference as mine have been gone since I bought my truck 2 years ago.

On the oil, it's probably a Fram Sure drain you can screw it out just like a regular plug.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by festerw
Get a pair of vice grips and pull the heat shields off then you'll be able to clean all the crap away from the plugs and get the socket to seat...
+1 to that!! Just compress the heat shield (like a piston ring) and pull them out. Should take 10 seconds.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
issakar
Captain
Default :-O

The heat shield is removable? whaaat?! lol. I can squeeze/compress them and they will come out? Will they go back in or am i breaking it

Thx for the info!

i'm gonna look into that oil drain plug too and see if it matches what you suspect it is.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They should go back in unless you bend them too much.

Quick Reply: 6 of 8 plugs replaced and can't change the oil