1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How hard is it to to replace drum brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Applehugger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to to replace drum brakes?

My rear brakes are shot, I clearly need new drums and shoes, but I've only ever worked with discs. My dad keeps telling me they're impossible to do and I should take it to my mechanic, but my truck is the only vehicle I own and I need it on a daily basis. Anyone have any advice/insight?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
pensfan
Default take your time

I have done both disc and drum. Both of my vehicles now currently are dodges and both are drums. I have found that by safely jacking the whole rear end, pulling BOTH rear drums but only doing ONE side at a time will give you an advantage because when you take say the left side apart you can use the right side as a visual guide, just remember its backwards. There are lots of springs, cables and brackets too. SO do it a piece at a time and lay it out on a piece of cardboard as you take them off. If there alot of miles on the hardware and the wheel cylinders you may wanna replace them as well? Just TAKE YOUR TIME, go slow and inspect all the pieces clean everything with brake cleaner and you may wanna consider a small spring remover. the parts guys know what it is, not very expensive and looks like a screwdriver with a small cup on the end..Good Luck

Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

After you do a set of drums correctly, you are primed to do them quickly and correctly...with experience you can do a wheel/drums in 45 mins. or less. As said, pull both wheels and drums and work on one at a time, so you have the other for reference on how they go back together. First time out, plan on an hour or more per wheel...cause the learning curve on springs, clamps, patience, patience, patience is high. Flip side of the coin...for $150 or less you can probably pay a reputable brake shop to do both rear wheels...should take them one working day or less, unless there is something broken or drastically wrong in your drums.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Nathyne
Rookie

I found no problems doing my drums the first time. The first drum took me two hours lol but after you do one as the other people said it's a piece of cake.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM
bill55az
Veteran

Use a digital camera and take pics before disassembly....
and for sure, use the proper tools when removing/installing the springs.

Back in the old days, mid 70's, I offered the use of my brake tools to a coworker, he said pliers and a screwdriver is good enough. Next day he showed up with stiches on inside and outside of his lower lip, plus a few more in his gums.

Oh, yeah, safety glasses are a good idea....

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill55az
+1. You beat me to it!

I took pictures of the disassembly and had my laptop sitting next to me while I was reassembling it and it couldn't have gone smoother.

Thats a crazy story! I used pliers and a screwdriver when I did mine and none of the springs slipped once. Maybe I just got lucky though! But after hearing that story I don't think I'll be trying it that way again.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM
bill55az
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
+1. You beat me to it!

I took pictures of the disassembly and had my laptop sitting next to me while I was reassembling it and it couldn't have gone smoother.

Thats a crazy story! I used pliers and a screwdriver when I did mine and none of the springs slipped once. Maybe I just got lucky though! But after hearing that story I don't think I'll be trying it that way again.
I have other stories about that guy. He married a nurse, and I told him he made a good choice, as he needed a nurse, or a doctor, way too often....

Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Well, sounds like your unlucky friend made the right wifey choice...someone who knows how to take stitches when needed. I've always used a vise grips and large screwdrivers for drum brakes. The spring tools are nice and worth the price, and safety glasses are recommended...but it all boils down to who is chasing/getting the parts. The right tools will help you out a lot the first time out.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:49 AM
fishlessman
Professional

only do one side at a time, first side takes three times longer than the second side. spring pliers and the cup setup for spinning the spring retainer washer come in handy and you may need to get the drums turned so inspect those before taking everything apart

Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bill55az
and for sure, use the proper tools when removing/installing the springs.

Back in the old days, mid 70's, I offered the use of my brake tools to a coworker, he said pliers and a screwdriver is good enough. Next day he showed up with stiches on inside and outside of his lower lip, plus a few more in his gums.

Oh, yeah, safety glasses are a good idea....
I was going to suggest the same thing. Do one side at a time and use a camera to take pics of everything you deem impotrant. It's not hard but you do want to make sure you have the proper tools, grease and beer in front of you before you start.

Brakes vary, but there is a minor prep/break in on most drum brakes before you can drive like normal. When you finish with the install and the truck is back on the ground you want to make sure the tensioners are set correctly, this is done by pumping the breaks, then comes the drive break in. Just go easy and avoid going above 40mph until you know everything is straight.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to to replace drum brakes?