1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

cracked open the rear diff case... now what? (need quick reply if possible)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked open the rear diff case... now what? (need quick reply if possible)

HI all,

i cracked open the rear diff case today and i'm letting it drain right now. what should i inspect while i'm in there and what weight oil should i replace it with? it's been whining so i figured i'd take a peak while i was at it. Also what can i clean it with?

thx!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol...when I read the title, I thought you meant you actually cracked the rear case! That would have been quite a feat.

Anyway, you should check the ring gear and spider gears for wear and fractures/cracks and also check for any metal filing or chunks in the oil. It also wouldn't hurt to pull the driveshaft loose and pull the axle shafts out and spin the carrier to get a feel for the bearings since you said it was making noise.

I use brake cleaner to clean everything! You should replace the oil with 75W-90 GL5 gear oil. If you do a lot of towing or drive really hard, it wouldn't hurt to use 75W-140.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 08-04-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ that was the perfect answer.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Use a good sealer when you put the cover back on.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Lol...when I read the title, I thought you meant you actually cracked the rear case! That would have been quite a feat.

Anyway, you should check the ring gear and spider gears for wear and fractures/cracks and also check for any metal filing or chunks in the oil. It also wouldn't hurt to pull the driveshaft loose and pull the axle shafts out and spin the carrier to get a feel for the bearings since you said it was making noise.

I use brake cleaner to clean everything! You should replace the oil with 75W-90 GL5 gear oil. If you do a lot of towing or drive really hard, it wouldn't hurt to use 75W-140.
Lol I thought about the title after i posted it and realized that was how it sounded :-O

I didnt really have the chance to inspect much because i didn't have a lot of time/jack and stands, etc. I did see a little wear on the ring gear. from what i saw of the spiders they didnt look bad (i didn't see much tho) and the pinion gear didnt seem too bad either. there was a good bit of metal shavings suspended in the gear oil i drained out and some mega sludge on the magnet and everything. I ended up using brake cleaner inside there to clean it up.

The oil change didn't help the sound i was hearing at all, but i didn't think it would be that simple either. I will just roll w it for the time being since i dont have any more money for a lil bit, lol. After the oil change, plugs, PCV, diff oil and a few other things i can't remember atm, this truck is finally running halfway decent. We replaced the NSS too since it was bad and found some troubling stuff in the trans fluid that came out; but thats for another post.

Quick Reply: cracked open the rear diff case... now what? (need quick reply if possible)