1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

rear axel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
midget-farms
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axel question

I have a trailer made out of a 1st get dakota.

When I move the trailer around the wheels turn the rear end gears & the output where the drive shaft used to be turns.

I've been thinking it might be easier to pull if the wheels were not driving those gears etc. but I know some (JEEP) axel's are c clip & if you start trying to take out the guts the wheels wont stay attached.

Does anyone know - can I remove the axel shafts or ring gears & still safely keep the wheels attached to the axel?

Not sure what year exactly the truck was - I think he said 96?? In any case it is in great shape - Just want to make pulling it use less gas.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw it on the 2nd Gen. You should post up pics here.

The spinning pinion shouldn't be hurting anything.

Yes it is a C-Clip style. But there is an easy way to keep the pinion from spinning. Just remove the upper and lower spider gears. Not the side ones that are connected to the axles. It is easy and the sides still hold the C-clips on.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
midget-farms
Professional

Thanks for the info. I will now have to pull out my hanes manual to see how to do that.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Thats a perfect solution Crazy4x4. Good luck MidgetFarms.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only problem I can forsee with that solution is that it might burn up the bearing surface of the side gears! They were never designed to spin along that bearing surface for long periods of time.

But I'm just playing devil's advocate here... it should work just fine.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
The only problem I can forsee with that solution is that it might burn up the bearing surface of the side gears! They were never designed to spin along that bearing surface for long periods of time.

But I'm just playing devil's advocate here... it should work just fine.

If being used as a trailer i'd imagine it to be alright. It'll only be on the road for usually short periods of time. I guess it all depends on how much you use the trailer. A good point from 95 tho; something i didn't think about. I have thought about using the rear axle off my truck to make a trailer once i replace it.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
midget-farms
Professional

I think I'll just leave well enough alone. I was hoping to remove all the rotating mass by pulling the exel shafts & all, but for just the spider gears I'm not really saving enough to bother.

Plus then I'd have to buy a diff seal etc.

So far I have not used the trailer at all - waiting on the title inspection. But I plan to use it for dirt for the garden, wood chips, mulch & the occasional run to the landfill.

Quick Reply: rear axel question