1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

!!!!Help!!!! Truck stopped mid drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
ThompsonsAlignment
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!Help!!!! Truck stopped mid drive

I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota V6, it stopped while I was driving. I've changed the coil, distributor cap, computer and a plethora of other things. I've had several mechanics look at it and no one can find the problem. Please help.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to say it Truly could be hundreds of things. And being over the internet we can't help much. But on the earlier years the wiring had bad splices. You might have that problem too. Check the splices under the relay box.

If you have to get a multimeter and test for power at the fuel pump computer ASD and all the relays.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
swapdip
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound overly simple and a stupid way of sorting out the problem, but whenever I have a situation like this were I just can't figure out why the vehicle will not run, I start at the absolute root of the problem and make a flow tree. At the top is the very most basic question:

Why won't the truck run?

I know that in order for an internal combustion engine to run, I need gas, air, spark, and compression. So then it branches off into other questions:

Is the truck receiving gas?
Is the truck receiving air?
Is the truck receiving spark? (and at the right time)
Does the engine have compression?

So then I go through each of the four of those, the first by pulling the spark plugs and making sure they are wet with gas, thus confirming gas is reaching the combustion chambers. If not then I will check electricals running to the fuel pump, make sure the filter is not clogged or any rubber hoses have collapsed, etc. Making sure the fuel pump is working, that there is gas in it! That the gas has not had a bunch of water dumped in it by one of the neighborhood ******* kids, or that my wife didn't accidentally put diesel in the truck again, etc etc etc a million things. Once every little thing has been investigated, I move on to air. Then spark, which is a big one, and finally compression, which is very easy to test.

This method has never failed me to find the problem of any motor, from motorcycles to outboards to all kinds of cars and trucks big and little.

Good luck man the truth is out there!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Tiwtin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck did that too... But mine was running to rich so I had to change the oxygen sensor. Could that be the problem? If so then your truck would have bad exhaust smell and run very rich.

Quick Reply: !!!!Help!!!! Truck stopped mid drive