1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation

When i start the truck up in the morning and start driving there is a hesitation from when i press on the gas and when it starts to go, it dosnt just happen coming out of a full stop. it will happen when i am at higher speeds. after the engine has gotten to warm up it usually goes away, but today it was doing it after the engine was warm. i was wondering if the changing weather may have any roll in it

Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
issakar
Captain

I dont know much about stuff n things. what about a Throttle Position Sensor? can someone else confirm/deny? It's not like a slipping/flaring is it? the RPMs dont shoot up?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

they dont shoot up but the rpm will die down even with my foot on the gas. the rpm will only stay down for a second or 2

Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
issakar
Captain

maybe test the TPS and see if it is acting up? this video is like old school but it talks about TPS issues and how to test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsX5q3jBeBQ

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

How long ago since the last tune up? Could be the TPS or temp sensor or IAC, but when there's a distributor, plugs wires, etc. involved I always start checking the simple stuff first. The service manual in the FAQ section tells you how to test all of this stuff.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

i have yet to do a complete one. i have replaced the sparkplugs, iac, and preaty sure the tps, but i will check the FAQ

Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Old wires and/or a worn/corroded dist. cap or rotor can cause hesitation like you describe. Changing the dist. cap is a real joy...engineered for access, not.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

i forgot to say it feels like i am losing power an the rpms go down even when i dont let off the gas

Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

this may or may not be helpfull. i had a simmilar issue with my when it was first warming up and i found a tsb to reprogram the controller (i work at a dogde dealer so it isn't like a superchips flash or anything) and it resolved all of my issues.
myne was a sag at part throttle after shifting to 2nd would usually pop through the intake. would clear up if i floored it and i'd fine the rest of that drive cycle. i noticed myne after fixing my kegger (belly pan leak on intake) and taking care of a few other vacuum leaks.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

just talked to my mechanic and he said the first thing that came to his mind was a bad coil. i dont know anything about them so i am taking it into the shop tommaorw to see whats wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Hesitation