1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 4x4 5.2 LE Dakota drum brake to disc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 PM
mrsmucker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 4x4 5.2 LE Dakota drum brake to disc?

Hello, I apoligize in advance, I know this was discussed before, but I couldn't find the details I was looking for. I believe someone wrote, a certain year Jeep Cherokee had disc brakes on the rear, that would bolt right onto the 8.25 corp. rear end. Replacing my drum brakes.

Any details?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I never heard of that. But first see what years ect of Cherokees came with it. And their axles are narrower.

You can buy the conversion kit from www.summitracing.com

Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM
festerw
Veteran

No XJ Cherokee came with discs on an 8.25 some ZJ Grand Cherokees and KJ Liberty's did. Axle shafts will have to be pulled and you may need to do some grinding.

Here's a couple write ups for 8.25 discs for Jeeps.
http://cherokeekid5.tripod.com/zj_discs_on_a_xj.htm

http://home.swbell.net/rriojas3/reardisk.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...5-axle-750112/

Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
mrsmucker
Wink Excellent reply...

It is exactly the information I was looking for, but neatly combined in one post. Thanks

Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that you'll have to lose your factory combination valve and possibly the master cylinder for the disc brakes to work correctly. Drum brakes require a certain residual pressure to be held on them at all times and if that check valve is kept in the system (I think its in the combination valve on our trucks rather than being in the master cylinder), you'll go through brake pads with the disc brakes very fast. Also, most disc brake master cylinders have a larger resevior to hold more fluid as the pads wear down and the system requires more fluid to take up the slack. The master cylinder may work fine, but keep an eye on the fluid level as the pads wear.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
mrsmucker
Default I understand...

Was figuring on using the Power booster from the Dakota, and the master cylinder and any additional hardware from the point forward of the donor vehicle. That should match up reservior volume and break pressure with factory setting for system.

It's just a drop in the bucket compared to everything else I am trying to high bred with this project.

I am putting an 89 Dakota Convertible cab in place of a 1993 extended cab. Swapping out to a long bed behind the shorter cab.

When completed... 1993 Dakota LE 4x4 5.2 long bed convertible. There has been many challenges already, and haven't started assembling anything yet. Still parts collecting. My warehouse looks like three Dakotas exploded.

But, now that everything has been collected, the re-assembly begins.

Last edited by mrsmucker; 10-14-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do realize that the RCLB and the extended cab have two different wheel bases? At some point the frame will have to be chopped and shortened. Why not go out and find a long bed dakota and use the frame from it?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 AM
mrsmucker
Thumbs up I appriciate any advice you have to offer...

Not sure what RCLB is off hand, but I purchased a long bed to make up the differences in the convertible cab, and the extended cab with the short bed.

I have a lot of experience with this in GM vehicles, (mixing cab lengths and bed lengths) from years of customizing various vehicles. This will be my first attempt at a major modification on a Dodge or a Dakota platform.

As long as I can get the wheel well opening some where close to the right location I will be okay. The bed will actually be converted to a self fabricated dump hoist I made for the project as well. So none of the factory mounts will be required.

I own a small compost company, and thought it would be fun to have specialty dump to go along with our big dumps for those many customers who just want one or two yards of material.

I could never offer them a competitive rate for delivery for such small quantities before, but with this little custom Dakota Convertible, I should be able to.

No, I won’t deliver compost with the top down… But probably will come home from the delivery that way.

I have been reading a lot on the SAS, and considering it… but I hate to loose any ride quality. I think the Dakota’s have a nice ride to them, just never could stand the V-6 option offered in the factory built convertibles, and the short bed platform they came on. When you have the top down, which I do pretty much all the time, it covers about 18” of the bed, therefore, you can’t have a 4 wheeler or anything comparable with you, and still go open air. I’ve had eight Dakota convertibles, and sold everyone out of inconvenience that way.

This will be my first long bed, should be much handier with V8 power and extra caring capacity.

By the way, I already got my donor vehicle; it was a real bargain, low miles, 5.2, 4x4 LE so it is fully loaded, and no rust. To find that same truck in a single cab, long bed 4x4, V8, loaded around here was impossible. Let alone trying to find one at a reasonable price.

The build begins!

Thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
festerw
Veteran

If you're doing all this how about just looking for a complete 8.25 or 9.25 out of a newer Dakota it'll already have discs on it and the only thing you may have to modify would be the spring mounts maybe not even that.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
mrsmucker
Default Agreed...

Originally Posted by festerw
If you're doing all this how about just looking for a complete 8.25 or 9.25 out of a newer Dakota it'll already have discs on it and the only thing you may have to modify would be the spring mounts maybe not even that.

I haven't ruled that option out at all... in fact, I would love to find a late model disc all around 4x4 with a solid front axle and do a complete exchange of axles. I like the idea of have like manufacturer components together. Makes tire and wheel combinations easy and parts later down the road functional.

I wish I could just buy a late model Dakota and make it a convertible... I had a new Dodge Quad cab a while back with the big motor and just loved it.

I don't know why Jeep is the only thing with enough "*****" to build a full top off convertible off-road capable vehicle.

I'm driving a Mercedes engineered Jeep Wrangler Unlimited four door right now, and so tired of spending 20 minutes at a time putting soft top on or off. I live in Ohio... if you don't like the weather conditions here... just wait a minute, they'll change.

I had brief hopes for the retro Bronco... but it seems to have died like everything else.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: 93 4x4 5.2 LE Dakota drum brake to disc?