1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

driving lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
9652dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving lights.

on a 96 totally stock truck what driving lights have you all found to be an effective upgrade that didn't just look out of place? i want to keep the air dam and bumper the same if possible and im having a hard time picturing what would goo good with the rest of the truck and not require big time mods. i don't want to look like a mudder or anything like that. just need em to look like they belong. any ideas?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What about a nice set of Hella 500s behind the grill??? Hidden but very functional...

Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Yeah, Like Hammer and his bad *** truck said lol. Or something like I got. I think it gives the truck a kinda bulldog look.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM
reeferbro0622

I've noticed my regular driving lights pretty much stink I have to put headlights on backroads without lamps to even see in front of myself. Other cars don't even flash me when they drive by... Im debating what to get as well.

For safety reasons ofcourse... all safety.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

how bright are those melodytoinvent. part of my hold up is worry about melting plastic because i want something brighter than my head lights or at least with a long wide beam. i fixed it on a ranger so that a relay powerd the high and lows at the same time but i like my dak enough that i'd rather do it right if i can. and driving lights just make sense to me. my low beams suck and my high beams should be lowbeams. (also the case with the ranger) but that fix didn't give me any more light out at a distance just more right there infront of me. i've had the lil round amber fog lights before and they are ok for there intended purpose but not quite what im after. as for the hella idea have you had any probs with heat on the grill?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

They're aight. I get flashed when I have them and my dims on so people seem to think they're bright lol. And they work good on trails, but I shoulda bought the brighter lookin, white/bluish lookin ones cause what I got is bright, but they kinda output the yellowish tint ya know? But definitely still worth the money. Oh and they light up the road good so yeah, not bad for 20 dollars.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a small set of cheapies and they worked well. then i upgraded to 100w bulbs and they got wrecked while offroading. but you can get small ones and mount them on the airdam like i did.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
festerw
Veteran

I don't think you could fit them behind the grille, there isn't a whole lot of room back there.

Whatever you get make sure they have a trapezoid shape beam they'll give you the best light coverage and nothing over 55w if you want them to be half *** legal.

That said I've got Hella 500's that I really like.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

i appreciate all of your input guys i'll have to do some shopping around and see what i can find in the way of smaller ones. i have decided when i do this ill make a new high amp harness for the lights and just run it all off of relays and big wires so that i can simplify the install and not have more switches in the cab. i had thought of maybe fog lights with my lobeams that would switch off for highbeams and have driving lights for them. deffinetly have some thinking to do. again guys i appeciate it.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

well i settled on a set of cheepies from wally world. platinum burners (ill get the model number when i get home.) wired em in with a relay and cut the high beam wire in to. the relay powers the high beams and the driving lights. i even put a switch under the hood so i can shut em off if needed. holy god those things are brighter then 8377. next up maybe do the same for the lowbeams with a set fog lights?

Quick Reply: driving lights.