1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Gen 1, Suspension Lift by frame stacking, anyone else tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
mrsmucker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 1, Suspension Lift by frame stacking, anyone else tried this?

I have a 1993, 4x4, 5.2 V8, Ext. Cab Dakota LE chassis I am converting into a convertible regular cab and long bed....

Other then the obvious wheel base differences I am now aware of... I would also like to lift it via the suspension.

Has anyone tried to graft a section of frame under the primary IFS frame then reattached all stock components to this lower frame section?

Steering gear box issues... did you mount gearbox to lower frame? That's my take on it so far.

Seems like a nice way to keep stock ride, increase height overall for tire clearance and do it for a lot less then about $2000 I am seeing the lift kits cost.

Just wondered if anyone else has tried this, succeeded or failed.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

By frame stacking you mean put a entire frame under yours? Like this Corvette 4x4, just a body on top of the 4wd frame.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
mrsmucker
Default No... not at all... just the critical components

I mean to neatly and accurately cut the frame just in front of the cab mount and neatly graph it into the frame as shown in the picture included.

The rear of course would be handled through other means.

I think this was originally one of your pictures, I cut apart and reassembled to represent what I mean. ignore the red circles...

Attached Thumbnails Gen 1, Suspension Lift by frame stacking, anyone else tried this?-modified-front-frame.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just going to say thats 95_318slt's photo, but then i saw the last part of his post...lol an interesting idea though...

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
issakar
Captain

I think that photo is from 95_318's SAS thread isn't it?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
i was just going to say thats 95_318slt's photo, but then i saw the last part of his post...lol an interesting idea though...
U literally wrote this as i was posting! lol

Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it is 95_318SLT pic.

Yes you could do that. But don't forget you will still have to make drop brackets for the front axle and the rear of the torsion bar. If not aligned PERFECTLY aliment will be off and tires can go quick as well as bad steering.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM
mrsmucker
Default It seems pretty much like the after market kit components?

Isn't this pretty much like the after market lift kit components are? A bunch of parts you would into place to mimic the factory parts, lower?

Yes I understand I would also need to fabricate new perches or wells for the key on the torsion bars, but I am missing what else I would need for the axle.

I am talking about literally using the whole cross member and everything from the frame section, allowing for perfect alignment and mounting as per factory.

Typical alignment techniques would be retained for steering, camber/caster etc.

Surely someone else out there has done this already... haven't they? I mean $2000 is a lot of money for 4 inches of lift without adding any real articulation enhancements, long arm suspension components or something.

I will study it pretty hard this evening I hope, a man is delivering a complete frame section, complete with spindles, outer axle shafts, steering gearbox and associated mounting parts. At least I will have it if i decide to try this. $60 for all I just mentioned above.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Gen 1, Suspension Lift by frame stacking, anyone else tried this?