1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dak 3.9 - shuts down after 1st start of the day

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Soundguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94 Dak 3.9 - shuts down after 1st start of the day

Just got the truck from a family member. Running cond. seems fine except for this one thing that is starting to get to me.

It fires right up first thing in the morning. Then, after a mile or two it will just shut down and become really hard to start. I have to use a few sprays of starting fluid to get it to fire. It turns over fine, just won't fire.

After this "morning experience," the truck starts fine throughout the day. Sure is a rough way to start your day however. Really frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas on what to check on this? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like it is the notorious splice. Check the FAQ in this section for more details.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Sounds like it is the notorious splice. Check the FAQ in this section for more details.
Thanks Crazy, will do. Some mentioning of the distributor pickup has also shown up in my surfing. I'll check out the FAQ's on the splice thing.

Last edited by Soundguy; 10-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Well, I started out with the splice looking for any obvious arcing, damage, corrosion, etc. and couldn't find any. The black you see is the glue from the wrap. I haven't checked a couple of remaining splices yet, had to take a break.

The splices "look" decent, should I redo them regardless?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
issakar
Captain

next morning try priming the fuel pump and see if that helps at all. turn the key on, listen to it prime, then turn it off. do this 2 or 3 times and see if it starts easier. worth trying. as far as the splices go, if you have time to redo them it wont hurt anything, but if they look good it may not be worth doing at this time. Since you do have it all pulled apart, again it couldnt hurt.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by issakar
next morning try priming the fuel pump and see if that helps at all. turn the key on, listen to it prime, then turn it off. do this 2 or 3 times and see if it starts easier. worth trying. as far as the splices go, if you have time to redo them it wont hurt anything, but if they look good it may not be worth doing at this time. Since you do have it all pulled apart, again it couldnt hurt.
Thanks issaker. The fuel pump is brand new and it has no trouble starting first thing in the morning, it fires right up. Just when I drive a 1/2 mile to the store, shut it off, go in and right back out, it would turn over, but not fire. Same thing today when I went to a neighbor's down the street except I left it running while I ran in there for just a sec. As soon as I started backing down the driveway, she shut down and would only fire with starting fluid. Aggravating!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Soundguy
Thanks issaker. The fuel pump is brand new and it has no trouble starting first thing in the morning, it fires right up. Just when I drive a 1/2 mile to the store, shut it off, go in and right back out, it would turn over, but not fire. Same thing today when I went to a neighbor's down the street except I left it running while I ran in there for just a sec. As soon as I started backing down the driveway, she shut down and would only fire with starting fluid. Aggravating!
That sounds oh too familiar. I just recently battled that gremlin. long story short is it turned out to be a bad wire to the fuel pump. Rewired it and now its good. Next time it give you problems if you have time check voltage at the pump; you should be getting 12v when the key is turned over. Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail too. There is a schrader valve on the driver side of the fuel rail.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by issakar
That sounds oh too familiar. I just recently battled that gremlin. long story short is it turned out to be a bad wire to the fuel pump. Rewired it and now its good. Next time it give you problems if you have time check voltage at the pump; you should be getting 12v when the key is turned over. Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail too. There is a schrader valve on the driver side of the fuel rail.
Will do issakar, thanks.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
issakar
Captain

NP man, let us know what you find out!

Quick Reply: 94 Dak 3.9 - shuts down after 1st start of the day