1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brakes and Headliner question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
asosnoff
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Headliner question

Hi, I have a 92 Dakota 318 automatic 4x4. I was driving today and went to brake and had a low pedal. Brake light and ABS light went on. Pumped up the pedal and everything was fine. It happened a couple more times to my destination. Upon arrival I checked for leaks, none found and brake fluid level is good. Any ideas.

And not as important as my brakes, but. I want to redo my headliner. How do you remove the windshield pillar molding that run up over the door without breaking the clips.

Thanks for your help in adavance, Adam.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 PM
issakar
Captain

far as the brakes go. it could be air in the lines perhaps? Someone else please confirm/deny this idea. Keep a close eye on the fluid level and make sure it isn't dropping. I see it looks good right now, but if it happens again take note to if it is lower than it was previously. Also check around for any signs of leaking in the driveway.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air in the lines can cause the pedal to go to the floor(same with a hydraulic clutch). i would suggest leaving your truck parked for a few hours and then check under the truck for any signs of brake fluid. i wonder if a seized caliper or wheel cylinder could cause this...

as for the pillars, i removed mine and only 1 clip broke on each side i used a screw driver too. i'm sure they make tools for it though.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM
swapdip
Rookie

I had a mushy brake for a while and no signs of leakage. Turns out one of my rear brake cylinders had blown out, and all the leaking fluid was getting soaked up by the brake dust, making kind of a brake paste that I had to scoop out of the drum. If you end up needing a new brake cylinder for the rear let me know, I stole 2 of them from the junkyard and don't need the other one. Other possibilities remain, you may have a damaged master cyl, or air in your lines like previously mentioned, altho that would usually present with a leak. Make absolutely sure you are not leaking anywhere, follow the line all the way from the master cyl to each wheel while an assistant pumps it. Sometimes you need to remove each wheel to inspect, and that sucks.

The headliner is pretty easy to replace. You take off the seatbelt, and I believe there is one or two hidden screws behind the seat on each side. Obviously take off the light, sun shades, and clips. Then the molding just sort of pops down. You don't need to remove it all the way, just very carefully pull it out of the way while you wiggle the headliner out, and install is the reverse. It took me about 20 mins to pull my old one out and put the new one in, not too bad.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

i had the same problem as swapdip but mine blew out while i was racing someone. i eventually got it fixed but the longer i left it the more damage it did to my brake.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran

my brakes were the same except and then after a while they went completely out, turned out I broke the line in the back on the frame where it loops. To find it all I did was have someone push the brakes while I looked and listened for the leak (ADVICE- IF YOU DO THIS METHOD, WEAR GLASSES, DOT3 BURNS THE EYES) lol and as i was tearing into it i had to replace more and more and more until i got to the cylinder which was blown on both sides. now i need shoes....and an e-brake cable....and gas....

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM
issakar
Captain

and gas.... lol

Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM
declid

hi, if it doesnt do it everytime, than its the master cyl, tom

Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

I have replaced everything except the master cylinder and power brake booster. I was actually leaning towards the PB booster myself. Anyone else agree? Believe me I would rather replace the master cylinder but I don't see it leaking anywhere. I don't have a low pedal, It's just mushy/spongy all the time.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM
swapdip
Rookie

Sometimes the problem with the master cyl is not a leaking condition. The plunger inside the master can corrode, basically letting it go back and forth without pushing much brake fluid. To test it I always used to disconnect the brake line at the master and get someone to stomp the brake, and see how much squeezes out and at what pressure. However, these days I am more inclined to just replace it with whatever I can steal from the junkyard. I mean, if you have narrowed it down to either the master or the brake booster, why not just replace them? The truck is like 20 yrs old after all.

Quick Reply: Brakes and Headliner question