1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Another hard/no-start issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Soundguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, on the "11" code I get this...

"Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking."

Two asterisks denote the engine check light will illuminate with this code however, mine doesn't when it's running.

CPS is faulty?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Could a short in the "notorious splice" give me the 11 code for a bad CPS?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
sammatthews2007
Professional

The splice powers the ASD relay and Fuel pump relay, and receives power from the Starter Relay. So probably not.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by sammatthews2007
The splice powers the ASD relay and Fuel pump relay, and receives power from the Starter Relay. So probably not.
Thanks Sam. Now I gotta find the best way to replace the sensor. Looks like a bugger to get at. Hopefully I can do it w/o pulling the wheel & fender liner.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Well, well, well.....

Love it when a plan comes together. First of all, thanks to all of you for putting up with my angst, ranting and questions.

Replaced the crank sensor and she started right up...and subsequent tries thereafter. The mounting bolts were Allen bolts and that initially threw me for a loop thinking they were hex heads. Also, I had to remove the tranny dipstick assembly (one 9/16 hex) to remove the sensor...no biggie though. The new one went in nice n' painless.

We'll keep an eye on her and see how she acts.

Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Colin H
Default 92 with similar issues

When these problems were happening to you, did the check engine light come on when you were cranking it over? My 92 3.9 doesn't spark & the fuel pump doesn't run plus the check engine won't come on either. So i can't pick up any codes. Anyone think that the crank sensor or cam sensor could cause this? My truck doesn't have the "infamous splice" & the relays are getting power, so...................any thoughts?
Colin

Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 PM
sammatthews2007
Professional

No check engine light = computer.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by Colin H
When these problems were happening to you, did the check engine light come on when you were cranking it over? My 92 3.9 doesn't spark & the fuel pump doesn't run plus the check engine won't come on either. So i can't pick up any codes. Anyone think that the crank sensor or cam sensor could cause this? My truck doesn't have the "infamous splice" & the relays are getting power, so...................any thoughts?
Colin
My CEL came on with the key in the "on" position. When cranking it over I believe it goes off, at least that's what I recall.

Sounds like a computer issue Colin, but don't take my word for it. I'm still learning this computerized stuff in vehicles. Anything with a carburetor and built before 1980......I could fix ya right up.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Colin H

I just bought a used brain from someone on the Forum so hopefully that'll do something for me.
Yeah, i hear ya on the carb thing. I can't imagine being able to restore these things in 50 years like you can with 50 year old cars today. I got into fuel injection about 25 years ago with water cooled vw's & although i was absolutly petrified in the begining, i grew to respect & understand them very quickly. That injection was all mechanical though, so easier to figure out without an electrical engineering degree.
Colin

Quick Reply: Another hard/no-start issue...