1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Check engine light - code 32

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM
totman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Check engine light - code 32

Ever since I've bought the truck the check engine light would come on driving at a consistent speed for a longer period of time. So today i decided to look into it more. I read the FAQ and after checkin my truck it read code 32 - "EGR Solenoid circuit short or open condition detected"

What does that mean exactly? How can I fix it? What does it affect?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
swapdip
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the EGR valve would be a first step, altho it could be an indication of a variety of problems. When my truck started throwing that code, I went to the junkyard and tore out a couple of EGR valves and threw them in my truck, just to see if the problem was in the valve itself, or an electrical short in the line, loose ground, cracked vacuum hose, etc. Turns out carb deposits had clogged up the vacuum hole, my EGR was also totally caked on the inside with carbon and gunk.

EGR valves are reasonable at the auto parts store, about 35 bucks, at the junkyard they are even cheaper, and free if you have big pockets!

Somewhere around here is a link on how to test your EGR, I believe with the truck running locate the EGR, and note the position of the solenoid plunger at idle. Then rev it up to running speed, the solenoid should move a little bit, I don't recall how much maybe a half inch or so, and then quickly return to normal when you let off the gas. If you are gunked up then it will prevent free movement, and thus the solenoid will not operate. There are also electrical readings which you should be able to determine, I dont have them in front of me but a good manual should be able to help you out. If you are new at this, go grab a couple EGR valves from the junkyard and put them in your truck. I always like to take parts form the trucks that have obviously been crashed, because you know the truck was at least running well when it was brought in!

Last edited by swapdip; 12-09-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
totman
Rookie

Alright, atleast the problem sounds cheap to fix. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get this figured out. It just seems odd to me that my check engine light only comes on once in awhile and only when I drive at a consistant speed(usually 55mph).

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by totman
Alright, atleast the problem sounds cheap to fix. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get this figured out. It just seems odd to me that my check engine light only comes on once in awhile and only when I drive at a consistant speed(usually 55mph).
In my case, the CEL came on one day after I cut my rattling cat off, so I thought it was related to that. Got home, checked the codes and got a 32 code. I haven't seen the CEL since, but out of curiosity, I checked the codes the other day and the 32 still popped up.

Truck seems to be running fine, 17-18 mpg and runs strong, but things like that bug the crap outta me so I'll address it soon with a new EGR.

Trouble is, at Auto Zone here, they're $72. Guess I need to shop around.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

If you have a Dodge Dealer around you, go there. Aftermarket EGR valves aren't that great.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by 03neonSE
If you have a Dodge Dealer around you, go there. Aftermarket EGR valves aren't that great.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 AM
totman
Rookie

Well I found out that my EGR valve has NO vacuum. BUT from what my shop instructor told me it doesn't seem to be an issue, infact according to him my truck will actually run better and be more efficient without my EGR valve working. I guess the reason they even equip vehicles with EGR valves is for recirculating the "Bad emissions" to make tree hugers happy and to keep fish from sprouting 7 eyes. Anyone else ever hear that? My check engine light only comes on every once in awhile anyways so I think I may just live with it.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

Yea I've heard of it just to make tree huggers happy but they won't foot the bill if we got to replace anything emmission related. You can actually make a custom delete if you know how to trick the computer.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I had the same exact thing happen. Only code Ive got (crosses fingers, knocks on wood). Light would come on randomly (or after not driving for a few days or after some hard acceleration lol) and I cleaned the valve a few times and it still came on so I just replaced it and been good since.

Quick Reply: Check engine light - code 32