1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Catalytic Converter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
ne14t
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Placement

I have a 1993 3.9L Dakota LE and I went to Air Care this weekend for the first time after getting the vehicle, it was previous owned by someone who didnt need to Air Care it. I was told by the people there that my truck had no catalytic converter, and after inspecting it myself it sure as heck doesnt. I am in the process of putting in a universal converter; however I have NO clue where its supposed to go. Normally you find them close to the manifold where its the warmest; however the only spot I can see one fitting in is probably towards the front passenger side of the box, which seems a little far back. If its not too much to ask could someone snap a pic of where there converter is on a similar truck, thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is right after the torsion bar crossmember.
Name:  IMG00167-20100814-2322.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  94.6 KB

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

where my cat was the heat shield is shaped a lil different..a lil bigger..i think haha. either way..youre right..its not far from the manifold..where the pipes come down and meet and make the y pipe..my cat was just a little after that. im assuming just like hahns pic shows cause we both have 95s

Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
ne14t
Rookie

Thanks, that gives me a general idea of where to check and see what the hell these idiots have done to my exhaust, but when I was at emissions testing the other day I crawled under it and couldnt for the life of me even see where a cat would go in.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
PhillyLee

i have a '94 and mine is basically right under the passenger seat. If you would be standing right in front of the passenger door, its almost centered on the door and right under the seat.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
ne14t
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhillyLee
i have a '94 and mine is basically right under the passenger seat. If you would be standing right in front of the passenger door, its almost centered on the door and right under the seat.
I just checked this exact location and found a nice sparkley piece of straight pipe about 28" long or so U-bolted in this location, so thats probably where the cat should have been!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Originally Posted by PhillyLee
Yep, same here. That's where it was anyway.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
ne14t
Rookie

Very nice placement for a cat actually I love it. On my race car its under the middle of the car cause its so tiny and well its a PITA to put in or take out, I run a class where I have to keep stock emissions so I cant just turf it.

It really bothers me cause I know my truck would pass air care even without the cat, thing doesnt smoke or puff blue any time, with very minimal exhaust on cold start its a freaking champ! I could bump the GVWR to 5001kg and I could get away without having to air care but I hear it can cause some problems with insurance claims. I am just gunna obey the law and have a shop weld in a new cat and call it a day.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
PhillyLee

Originally Posted by ne14t
Very nice placement for a cat actually I love it. On my race car its under the middle of the car cause its so tiny and well its a PITA to put in or take out, I run a class where I have to keep stock emissions so I cant just turf it.

It really bothers me cause I know my truck would pass air care even without the cat, thing doesnt smoke or puff blue any time, with very minimal exhaust on cold start its a freaking champ! I could bump the GVWR to 5001kg and I could get away without having to air care but I hear it can cause some problems with insurance claims. I am just gunna obey the law and have a shop weld in a new cat and call it a day.
Thats the best thing to do. Whenever you get pulled over, that'll be one less thing you'll have to worry about

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ne14t
It really bothers me cause I know my truck would pass air care even without the cat, thing doesnt smoke or puff blue any time,
Just because there isn't smoke doesn't mean it's burning clean. I've measured HC levels with and without a cat and there's a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Placement