1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Electrical issues coming in waves all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011 | 09:44 AM
Soundguy
|
Professional
Unhappy Electrical issues coming in waves all of a sudden

My dash lights fuse (#13-4 amp) keeps blowing, but my work schedule for the past week has had me really busy so I haven't had much time to check things out. I wasn't stressing too much over it knowing I could have time to look at it this week.

On to the most recent adventures....

Upon leaving the job site yesterday afternoon, the truck starts to develop some real weirdness. I pull out of the parking lot towards the interstate and hear some immediate squealing, truck starts running really rough and I smell a burnt smell. I'm thinking my belt just bit the dust so, I pull over on the ramp for a look-see. Popped the hood and the belt is still on. I left the engine running and it seemed to smooth out a bit so I climbed back in and got on I-75.

Around 6 miles down the road, the storm became fierce so, I went to "high" on my wipers. 10 seconds later, the wipers stopped in mid-stroke and I start smelling that burning smell again. I pulled on the shoulder, put on my hazards, let the truck run while I assess the situation in the middle of a severe t-storm. I could hear the wiper motor running and my washers still work so I know it didn't blow the fuse. The wipers won't move however. After a few minutes of phone calls, I shut the truck off while I wait on the rain to stop so I can make it home.

I go to start the truck.....nothing. Discovered the 30 amp starter relay was blown so I moved another in it's spot, it cranked up and and I limped home.

When I got home, I looked over it some more and heard some real squealing coming from the alternator area. Haven't been out to look at it today yet as I wanted to get this up and see if any of you guys had any ideas on where to start.

I'm wondering if losing my dash lights is somehow connected to this series of events. Also, I noticed some black material coming from the backside of the a/c comp pulley. The compressor has been unhooked since before I got the truck because the previous owner (bro-in-law) said it needed to be worked on. I initially thought the a/c pulley may have seized causing the rest of the problems. I hooked the comp up only for a few seconds a couple of weeks ago just to see what it was doing, it made a bunch of racket with belt squeal, etc. so I shut it off and never turned it on again.

I'm stumped.

Bad alternator? Belt? Short somewhere?

Last edited by Soundguy; 03-27-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2011 | 11:04 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

the alt. is probly on its way out. or the belt is slipping and not allowing the alt to recharge the battery.

Old 03-27-2011 | 11:21 PM
Soundguy
|
Professional

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
the alt. is probly on its way out. or the belt is slipping and not allowing the alt to recharge the battery.
You think a faulty alternator would cause the dash lights fuse and 30 amp starter fuse to blow?

The battery seems fine. Its been cranking easily (with a good starter fuse) and I don't seem to be getting any drops when everything is turned on.

Old 03-28-2011 | 07:41 AM
festerw
Veteran

Get a new alternator it sounds like it's fielding improperly and causing voltage spikes.

Old 03-28-2011 | 12:02 PM
Soundguy
|
Professional

Just checked it out at the Zone. Alternator shows good. 14+ volts. Battery was bad.

Last edited by Soundguy; 03-30-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2011 | 05:12 PM
Soundguy
|
Professional

Update...

After a new battery, idler pulley, belt, and a 30 amp fuselink, all seems back to normal now. The truck even seems to run smoother and of course quieter with the new belt.

Still not sure what caused all the commotion Sat. afternoon, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks fellers!

Quick Reply: Electrical issues coming in waves all of a sudden