1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM
matt0852
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

By definition, the stock intake is a Cold air intake. Here's the question. If I remove the plastic block in the grille to open up the flow, would this cause any problems? I was gunna put like a window screen there to help stop debris from entering. Anyone try this? Also if I do this and drop in a K&N filter, will this give me any gains?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt0852
By definition, the stock intake is a Cold air intake. Here's the question. If I remove the plastic block in the grille to open up the flow, would this cause any problems? I was gunna put like a window screen there to help stop debris from entering. Anyone try this? Also if I do this and drop in a K&N filter, will this give me any gains?

Nope, it is a common mod to open the flow. The main concern is water getting into the intake tract, but even the triple butterfly system can be used in rain. I would guess your gains in the 3-5 hp range from a filter change (more or less from having a newer filter). K&N is getting alot of pressure from newer technologies that surpass their claims. You will have to decide if the price is worth it though. If you do not have a built engine, the exhaust side would merit more benefit than the intake side.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes most don't understand that stock is a Cold Air Intake System.

From factory mine didn't have the block, it was open to the grill area. So for every day driving and even rain ect no problems.

For offroading I drowned the engine several times when I hit big puddles of water. So for offroading I turned it towards the battery.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 AM
matt0852
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys! I wasn't sure how common it was because I never really noticed it and couldn't find anything about it online. I did open my exhaust side( headers back with leaks that I still have to get about to fixing) but just wanted to mess a little with the intake. I know what I'm doing today!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Saltys
Rookie

yea K&N may have a "CAI" but CRAZY is right the stock is pretty much the same but K&N has better filters. HOWEVER, smoother pipes (METAL - autozone has em or the Rubber ones K&N uses), would help the air flow a little over that plastic, thats rippled it doesnt do anything for air flow. bit SIG'S right too... only a 3 to 5 gain tho but if your carbed you could add a tornado for a lil help aswell and possibly get 5-7 if nothing else a lil fuel economy. If my Memory/knoledge serves me right that is.. lol

Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 AM
matt0852
Rookie

Interesting. Nope she's not carbed. I saw those pipes, but I can't find that piece that sits on top of the throttle body.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Saltys
Rookie

... u could use a 90degree elbow from advanced... then straight pipes to the MASS, tee it off to there and the grill.. ud end up spending about 50 to 75 bucks in pipes and filter tho.. i gotta plastic mock up kit and it fits on mine, i believe the TBI and the carb are the same height off the block.. although ima jus use stock cuz like they said it is a cold air intake the only thing u could improve would be the hose the air travels in... the stock airfilter holder for TBI is plastic and can be found at a junkyard for 10bucks.. i was gonna use it over the old metal one i have for the CARB but they dont match up and fit properly... but i bought the kit years ago so i thought id just try it fer ya

Last edited by Saltys; 04-19-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Bump
Veteran

That "cold air intake" is what caused my motor to sieze. It is mounted so low in the truck that it acted like a drinking straw and sucked up water into the motor and junked it.

I have been running with out it since.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

just a suggestion, but what about the air injection pump on a 87-91. if you live in an area that doesn't do smog testing, divert the pipes from the cat converter to the intake (trash the converter) put a switch on it and blow air in, as long as the MAP sensor is after the air injection then the fuel will be adjusted accordingly. if it's too much air then get a sensor from a turbo or use a smaller pipe to the throttlebody.

let me know if anybody tries this and it works!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

Originally Posted by mazda7475
just a suggestion, but what about the air injection pump on a 87-91. if you live in an area that doesn't do smog testing, divert the pipes from the cat converter to the intake (trash the converter) put a switch on it and blow air in, as long as the MAP sensor is after the air injection then the fuel will be adjusted accordingly. if it's too much air then get a sensor from a turbo or use a smaller pipe to the throttlebody.

let me know if anybody tries this and it works!
Poor man's supercharger! As crazy as that sounds, that sounds like a good idea!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake