1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

PCM Death?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hemispheres
The unit I installed is a Cardone product. No problem after three years of operation.
Thanks. The lifetime warranty sounds good. I'll check.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
automan573

i had much the same problem many years ago on my truck

95 dakota, i bought it used in 97 and in 2000 the computer started to die
it ran good one minute, then ran like a bag of hammers the next, like it really needed a tune up bad
it finally died outright, and searching around for a used one i was SOL
the dealer wanted 800 bucks for a new one cause my truck is a v8 5spd, the AT trans version was 200 reman from the dealer

i ended up buying a mopar performance computer from ebay from florida and that fixed the problem, and been kicking since then

all sorts of other problems though but that's another story

Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

1992DakotaDead, I have yet to check the other post you linked to but about that rattling...though you have other important problems with the truck, I'm thinking it could be a heat shield that protects the bottom side body of your truck from the exhaust system heat. Most of our dakota's have more then one of these and over time rust and vibration gets to them and they become loose and even start to fall off (sometimes entirely). That rattling...is it only when your driving down the road or also when the truck is just sitting there idling? If it also happens when it's just sitting there idling, you can crawl under the truck and should be able to pin point where it's coming from.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparMan1995
1992DakotaDead, I have yet to check the other post you linked to but about that rattling...though you have other important problems with the truck, I'm thinking it could be a heat shield that protects the bottom side body of your truck from the exhaust system heat. Most of our dakota's have more then one of these and over time rust and vibration gets to them and they become loose and even start to fall off (sometimes entirely). That rattling...is it only when your driving down the road or also when the truck is just sitting there idling? If it also happens when it's just sitting there idling, you can crawl under the truck and should be able to pin point where it's coming from.
Thanks MoparMan.

The rattle is more of a joke than a complaint. This is a work truck. Got a tool bed on it with all of the doors. Any and all of them could rattle. Drivers side door got some shake to it too.

Doesn't really bother me. Main thing I need is for it to crank and roll.

It can rattle like a hay wagon with wooden wheels on a bumpy road if it wants.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 AM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Lol, ok, but when you get sick of that noise, you have a good idea of where to look.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Cdavis
Default Computer difference

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
92-93 Computers are the same and best. 94-95 are slightly different but can work. Ram and Dakotas will work, maybe van too. Make sure you get the same engine and drivetrain.
I know this thread is really old, I’m new here and just put a computer out of a 94/95 dakota with the 5.2 into my 93 dakota and it seems to run ok but not as good as before. I was wondering what the differences were between the 92/93 computers and the 94/95?

Old 10-04-2019, 07:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The differences are due to the differences in the motor - most specifically, the injector flow rate.

For 1992/1993, the injectors are rated at 19.2lbs/hour of fuel at 43.5PSI; the 94+ injectors are instead rated at 25.4lbs/hour at 43.5PSI.

This causes the ECUs to run at the limits of fuel trim adjusting to compensate.

Of course, you can just swap to the matching injectors ... and then the problem tends to go away.

RwP

Old 10-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Cdavis

Originally Posted by RalphP
The differences are due to the differences in the motor - most specifically, the injector flow rate.

For 1992/1993, the injectors are rated at 19.2lbs/hour of fuel at 43.5PSI; the 94+ injectors are instead rated at 25.4lbs/hour at 43.5PSI.

This causes the ECUs to run at the limits of fuel trim adjusting to compensate.

Of course, you can just swap to the matching injectors ... and then the problem tends to go away.

RwP
Thank you for the info, I had to borrow another computer from a 93 on the farm due to the new one acting like it was cutting out and stalling.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:58 PM
Dominic Sweeney
Default Green d. i.y.er

I'm rebuilding a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport. The truck has had a rough life before I bought it. Always loved early 2000s dodge. So I am currently replacing and fixing body panels and cab mounts. Problem though I replaced the front fenders both driver and passenger side. I did driver side first and had no problems bolted up and made sure I checked twice that I did put everything back correctly. Now passenger side I did the next day. Unhooked the battery before removing anything off the inside fender. Then I removed the fender and attached the new one on and bolted it in and put everything back. I double checked and it was correct. Hooked the battery back up went to start the truck to put my radio settings back to normal and make sure everything worked... and nope I received the infamous no bus notification on my dash and popped internal codes 900 920 921 930 940 950 999. And I knew it wasn't good. I didn't have metal to metal contact and I made sure I didn't bang my pcm off anything. Why would this happen. And does anyone know how I should go about figuring how this came to be and fix it. Or should I just buy a new/reman pcm?

Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Reseat the connectors on the PCM, see if that helps. If it is still reluctant, grab another warm body, turn the ignition on, and then start wiggling the connectors on the PCM.

Quick Reply: PCM Death?