1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Lift and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Joezilla64
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and tires

I want to fit some 33X12.5R15 tires on my 1995 5.2l slt 4x4 dakota. I will be using my stock wheels.
I did some searching and here is what I think i need:

add a leafs
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFY-85350/

torsion bar keys
http://www.totalperformanceonline.co...1321/50/100-14

2 in body lift
http://www.totalperformanceonline.co...21/35/PFA-642X

I do have some questions though.
For the body lift I need to weld something on the shift linkage, would it be easy to take it off and bring the linkage to a shop?
And there are two kits. One says STD and one says EXT. Is this for the standard and extended cab?
I'm also getting some wheel hop, mainly when I'm starting to get bogged down in the sand. Will the add a leafs fix this?
I'm not going to buy tires just yet, but these are what i was thinking of
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....TOWL&tab=Sizes
If anyone has advice or links to cheaper parts feel free to reply.
Thanks.

Last edited by Joezilla64; 04-25-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

You can fit 33s with just the body lift. But please buy your tires first or at least wait til you have them to put the lift on..lifted with stock/small tires is ugly as hell. Just my opinion but I feel it's a solid one lol

Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Love your choice in tires though lol

Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Bump
Veteran

I agree with the good tire choice, but they would be too wide for me. But Im a snow guy, not mud and sand. haha

That is the set up I plan on going with as well when I ever get around to it. Should be a total of 6.5" of additional ground clearance (4" with lifting and 2.5" going from 28" to 33" tires)

Im pretty sure you have to extend the steering post as well as the 4x4 shifter, and I dont think its overly easy to pull the whole thing out though.

New shocks should fix the wheel hop. Are you still running stock shocks? What shocks are you going to run with the lift?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Joezilla64
Amateur

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
You can fit 33s with just the body lift. But please buy your tires first or at least wait til you have them to put the lift on..lifted with stock/small tires is ugly as hell. Just my opinion but I feel it's a solid one lol
I know it would be ugly but my current tires still have some life left in them.

Originally Posted by Bump
I agree with the good tire choice, but they would be too wide for me. But Im a snow guy, not mud and sand. haha

That is the set up I plan on going with as well when I ever get around to it. Should be a total of 6.5" of additional ground clearance (4" with lifting and 2.5" going from 28" to 33" tires)

Im pretty sure you have to extend the steering post as well as the 4x4 shifter, and I dont think its overly easy to pull the whole thing out though.

New shocks should fix the wheel hop. Are you still running stock shocks? What shocks are you going to run with the lift?
How do I extend the steering post if I don't have a welder on hand?
I have monroe sensa trac load adjusting shocks. They have the coil springs on them... I think the proper term is axle wrap not wheel hop. So the shocks didn't fix the problem. I plan on keeping these shocks after the lift.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Hey if they still have some life I don't blame ya. Just too many people around here that lift their trucks and leave small tires on. Like this guy with a brand new F-150..if you can afford that and a lift, why can't you get tires? lol

Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you don't have a welder you can take off your steering linkage to any automotive shop or even muffler shops. $30 to cut and weld, just mark where you want it. You need to crank the torsion bars along with the 2in body lift to clear 33's.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Joezilla64
Amateur

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
Hey if they still have some life I don't blame ya. Just too many people around here that lift their trucks and leave small tires on. Like this guy with a brand new F-150..if you can afford that and a lift, why can't you get tires? lol
I can afford the tires but I would like to find a job before I blow the rest of my money on tires. I'm still in high school and I'm going to have trouble getting around with 33in tires and gas at almost $4 a gallon.

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
If you don't have a welder you can take off your steering linkage to any automotive shop or even muffler shops. $30 to cut and weld, just mark where you want it. You need to crank the torsion bars along with the 2in body lift to clear 33's.
Thanks!
I'm going to order all the parts for the lift tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Lift and tires