1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Delays

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:09 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95
Although hardened/swollen seals will cause a delay in engaging gears, I had the same exact thing happen to me and when I replaced the converter drainback valve, I never had that problem again and my transmission had been rebuilt before by the previous owner. If you still want to know where the drainback valve is located, I took a picture of it on my truck; I have a 1995 V6, it should be similar for your truck.
Thanks a ton. Worth a try I guess. Yours appears to be on the passengers side.

Right? Wrong?

Direction of flow?

Just don't want to screw it up as it is said that it "will destroy the transmission" if installed incorrectly.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

when you buy it, it will come as the whole entire line assembly. It flows from the transmission to the cooler; also, it will come with a new quick-connect fitting at the transmission. Don't get generic auto part store cooler lines, they won't work. I spent an entire Saturday back & forth at the local Autozone to figure out it was a dealer only part. It's pretty much idiot-proof, you can't mess it up & yes it's on the passenger side of the radiator (cooler inlet).

Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

i'd geuss that you have a blown seal somewhere. i'd just yank it and build it if it were me. but if the truck is just shot maybe better to part with it. my 96 will problly get a trans in a year or so but it's gonna be like $400 for me so the cost is a bit different. it isn't a hard trans to build. what if you pull it and deliver it to them to build?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie

when you buy it, it will come as the whole entire line assembly. It flows from the transmission to the cooler; also, it will come with a new quick-connect fitting at the transmission. Don't get generic auto part store cooler lines, they won't work. I spent an entire Saturday back & forth at the local Autozone to figure out it was a dealer only part. It's pretty much idiot-proof, you can't mess it up & yes it's on the passenger side of the radiator (cooler inlet).
Good friend at the Chevrolet dealership. Owner owns Dodge dealership also.

Have buddy check for me. Calls back, "They say you're right, check valve at the transmission cooler. Discontinued and can't get anything for you...."

Now what.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Napa and autozone and advance sells the lines, probably the check valve too.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:21 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie

Thanks. Which line? Passenger side or drivers side?

I can find some listed online at NAPA. None say w/check valve though.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie

Appears to be the pressure line is located on the transmission towards the front on the drivers side. Return is on the same side towards the back of the truck.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

if you are laying underneath your truck underneath the radiator, the pressure line (transmission fluid flowing from the transmission to the cooler) is going to be on the passenger side, that is the side that the converter drainback valve is at. The cooler line on the driver's side is the return line.

If you need the part number for the drainback valve/pressure line assembly, I'll make a call to an old friend back at my old Dodge dealer and get that part number for you. As I mentioned before, Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc. do NOT have the drainback valve on the lines they sell, you will waste your time. That part is not discontinued because I just bought mine 8 months ago.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie

if you are laying underneath your truck underneath the radiator, the pressure line (transmission fluid flowing from the transmission to the cooler) is going to be on the passenger side, that is the side that the converter drainback valve is at. The cooler line on the driver's side is the return line.

If you need the part number for the drainback valve/pressure line assembly, I'll make a call to an old friend back at my old Dodge dealer and get that part number for you. As I mentioned before, Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc. do NOT have the drainback valve on the lines they sell, you will waste your time. That part is not discontinued because I just bought mine 8 months ago.
Yes, part number please.

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

the line is dicontinued but the valve can be bought seperatly. we replace it everytime there is a trans issue at my dealer. ill see if i can round up a part number for you.

Quick Reply: Transmission Delays