1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Pan Gasket

92 Dakota, V6, AT. Got under there and saw some leakage that appears to be coming from around the pan.

Who makes a good pan gasket to replace it? All about the same?

Also, filter? Figured I'd change that while in there.

And I have a drain plug in the pan. But does anyone have a method they use to get a more complete drain of the system?

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 AM
issakar
Captain

My instructor for my electrical theory class (who is also big on mopar) said the best thing to use for the pan on these is actually RTV. Apparently Dodge designed the trans pans that way and in his experience any gasket tends to just leak anyway. I have the same problem with mine leaking with a replacement gasket in place. I havnt gotten around to fixing it but plan to follow his advice when I get to it.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best gasket is Mopar. The one that is solid plastic with a O-Ring style seal around it. I hate the rubber gaskets, they always shifts. The cork is okay but can crack and leak over time.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 AM
issakar
Captain

yea the rubber ones do shift a lot. again thats what I had installed on mine and it doesn't work worth anything.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:34 PM
1992DakotaDead
Rookie

Thanks everyone. Used a Felpro gasket I got locally. Doesn't seem cork or rubber. Almost fiber-like.

Installed new filter as well & ATF4 to the right level. There was very little metal noticeable in the pan or on the magnet.

Not leaking. But I'll keep check on it to see how I did.

This is not a hard job for most people in my opinion. Remember, this is a 1992 Dakota, V6, AT, 2WD. Others may run into pipes, crossmembers, etc.

The most difficult part is draining. I even had a plug in mine and still experienced the "Red Rain" of doom.

Changed oil & greased too. Only found 6 grease fittings. 3 on each side of the front. Couldn't find any on universals or anywhere else.

Did I miss some?

Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
AZSLT

I just did my Trans. fluid/filter change and the kit I got from O'Riely had a Rubber gasket. I have no leak issues and was at first skeptical about the instructions regarding the installation of the gasket. It said do "NOT" use RTV or any other sealant, rather an oil soluble grease bed on the pan flange and then the gasket against the trans. case without anything. I figured I would try it and just be very aware of how much torque I put on the bolts. My rule of thumb is, the hell with a torque wrench, I just put a 1/4 " drive rachett between 2 fingers and tighten up sequentially and it works most every time. When the rachett starts to put enough pressure against the inside of my fingers that it hurts a bit I stop. Anyways its been 4 days now and no leaks even with the rubber gasket that I too think is strange and a bit out of norm. I'll keep watching it and report any leaks if my torque calibrated fingers were off.

Quick Reply: Transmission Pan Gasket