1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 AM
DRUSS25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issue?

Hey guys, I just dropped my trans (what a battle) and had it rebuilt...I reinstalled it and have it dang near wrapped up...but for some reason it won't start now...I did change the fuel filter while I was waiting on the trans shop...but I checked and have fuel coming thru the filter and up to the fuel rail...no kinked lines...I pushed the little valve core down on the back of the fuel rail..that wasn't the smartest thing to do because now its leaking...but the truck acts like its not getting any fuel...it seems to fire fine. One thing I'm unsure of is when I had the fuel line off the front side of the filter, when I cycled the key it would only pump fuel for about 2 seconds and stop...I looked for a bad fuse...didn't see anything...swapped the fuel pump relay under the hood with another one...still the same thing. Any idea whats going on?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

...sorry for the novel...

Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

your pump is doing what it's supossed to do.
from expierence ill say check your crank sensor wires and make sure you didn't catch em in the bell.
i've done that a time or two, also did you take of your dis cap when pulling the trans.
if not it may be broken.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the crankshaft position sensor. Make sure you reinstalled it correctly without breaking it in the process if removing and installing the transmission.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM
DRUSS25

Ok, I didnt remove the distributor cap or crank position sensor when I removed it or reinstalled it...Is the CPS between the engine and the trans at the bell housing on the passenger side? --Has the little notch out of the bell housing...

Would you guys guess that the sensor got broken or pinched wires? I tried to hold those wires out of the way when reinstalling...

I'm gonna go try pulling the dist cap n checking everything out right now...

Keep the info comin guys! I need all the help I can get with this...very frustrating!

Old 06-04-2011, 02:56 PM
DRUSS25

Just went out n pulled the dist cap and rotor, cleaned everything up...still nothing

Last edited by DRUSS25; 06-04-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM
DRUSS25

Pulled the crankshaft position sensor and took it to autozone to have it tested and it was good...what else can I do???

The only thing I haven't done yet that I need to is pull a spark plug and make sure I've good spark/any spark...

Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
DRUSS25

Pulled a spark plug tonight after work and grounded it out on the head...no spark...hmmm could it be camshaft position sensor? Anyone know if they can be tested? I called autozone tonight and the guy said that there isn't a camshaft pos sensor for a 93 dodge dakota with a 318...but I was holding it in my hand...haha and it shows that, that is what it is on THEIR website! It was closing time so the guy probably just wanted to leave...

What other things can cause no spark?
Cap, rotor, plugs and wires were all replaced within the past year or two...

Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
DRUSS25

This is what I had out...at first I thought maybe that sync signal generator was in wrong from when I pulled it apart this weekend but it can really only go it one way...

Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM
DRUSS25

Well...I was wrong again...but I've definitely learned a few things...took my truck to a local guy and had him check it out and he found out my timing is off, the computer isn't throwing any codes and the first thing he asked me was if I had trouble installing the flex plate to the flywheel...and I did, the holes didn't line up right. I talked to a different trans guy and he said that there are 2 different flex plate bolt patterns and that my trans guy must have given me the wrong one. Well before all of this I could get 3 bolts in but not the 4th bolt, no matter how I clocked the flex plate...well I was doing this by myself and instead of turning the engine with the nut on the front of the crank I found it to be easier to use a small pry bar and turn the engine with the holes in the fly wheel...that was a bad idea because now I have found out that the crankshaft position sensor reads off of those holes and they are all mushroomed and elongated...sooo now I have the transmission out AGAIN! Much easier the 2nd time now that everything is clean, anti-seized and has been apart...now I have a new fly wheel on order ($55 fvck up)

I was thinking that maybe once I get the new fly wheel and bolt it up I would try to start the truck to make sure its going to run. Is there any reason that I can't/shouldn't do that?

Here are some pics I took of my battle...
Name:  IMAG0006.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0010.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0011.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0013.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0008.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0014.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  96.7 KB
When I towed it to the local guy, the t-case wires got wrapped in the front drive shaft and were tore off...anyone have a spare harness laying around?

Last edited by DRUSS25; 06-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

im glad you got it figured out. there are 2 different bolt patterns for the torque converter. one is 90 degrees and the other is slightly offset (can't recall the angle at the moment)
also when turning it i usually use the flywheel but i hit the ring gear teeth. he is correct that it does use those windows to pickup where the crank is. i've seen the crushed and bent up before. it's a common thing so just curse a bitt laugh and enjoy ya truck when it's done.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issue?