1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Dakota Project?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xaenon
You're setting yourself up for a whole LOT of (largely unnecessary) work. I understand the truck has sentimental value and all that, and for that reason, my suggestion would be this: Leave the truck exactly as your grandfather owned it. Restore it, maybe - if it's as nice as it looks in the picture, that wouldn't be all that hard to do. As for 4x4 - I think you're going to find it MUCH easier (and probably less expensive in the long run) if you just go find a good used 4x4 Dakota to start your project with. If you find a '92-newer, you'll already have the Magnum engine and everything. No need to swap frames, no need to scavenge hard-to-find hardware, mix and match old and new parts, and all that. And you'll have your Grandpappy's old 2WD to function as parts chaser and spare wheels.

Just my two cents.
That is pretty much my plan, just drop his body on a complete 92-96 4x4 if that is what you mean. I might just lift it 2WD as is and enjoy it for where it can go (with a winch haha)

Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Lightbulb

Can anyone tell me what this is? When I replaced my door speakers I found handfuls and handfuls in the bottom of both doors all in chunks like this, what is it from and what did its purpose serve?

If my windows are not completely rolled up they rattle and shake a little when I shut my doors, were those chunks supporting something or what can be done to resolve this problem?

Name:  IMG_8941.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  281.3 KB

Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For sound insulation. It is sprayed on door panels floors ect. Something similar is sprayed underneath the vehicle for rust protection from road salts on some vehicles.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:49 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I will just have to Dynamat my doors then.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 AM
ColinSLC56
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's something about the transmission: How big of tires are you putting on it?

Plus, are you driving it on roads or off road?

On road: You'll probably need to re-gear the transmission or just get one with a higher ratio.

Off road: You really don't need a new transmission if it's off-road only. It's not like you're passing any Fords off-road, that's only on roads.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by ColinSLC56
Here's something about the transmission: How big of tires are you putting on it?

Plus, are you driving it on roads or off road?

On road: You'll probably need to re-gear the transmission or just get one with a higher ratio.

Off road: You really don't need a new transmission if it's off-road only. It's not like you're passing any Fords off-road, that's only on roads.
On road, really? Well how big of tires can I go before re-gearing? I want to get a manual transmission but I'm not sure if it will line up (minus the hole in floor) and what year trucks to look for a tranny out of.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM
ColinSLC56
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how big before you need to worry about your transmission, but I know if you get big enough tires on the thing, you're downshifting into passing gear and cruising is normal. Larger tires = lower rpms for the same speed.

On my dad's old ford (I know, sad.) he blew a few transmissions because of the tires were so big and he didn't have his tranny ratio aligned with how huge the tires were.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by ColinSLC56
I don't know how big before you need to worry about your transmission, but I know if you get big enough tires on the thing, you're downshifting into passing gear and cruising is normal. Larger tires = lower rpms for the same speed.

On my dad's old ford (I know, sad.) he blew a few transmissions because of the tires were so big and he didn't have his tranny ratio aligned with how huge the tires were.
Oh, yeah I have heard more-less the rear differential needing re-gearing not transmissions but I may be wrong, if it's what I'm thinking though the cutoff line is 33's

There are 3" front coil spacer kits all over eBay for the first gen trucks so I think I'm going to try one. Then you all say the best solution for the rear is an add-a-leaf kit? Will one extra leaf be enough to makeup 3" or would an under to over axle swap be higher than 3 inches? Then a 2" body lift on top of that...

My rear sliding window's buckle broke off the glass. Is there some sort of way to lock that window besides an alarm system so I can protect my $2K stereo?

I know one of these plugs are for diagnostics, but they can't all be. There is another one to the lower left as well, tucked in the corner:
Name:  IMG_8947.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8946.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  161.6 KB

What is this device? It has some sort of a hose that must be translating into an electrical signal of some sort?
Name:  IMG_8964.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  95.7 KB

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 09-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I went to a few junkyards today and found some 92-96 Dakotas. Trying to find some interior to swap out my blue with, some had grey and others looked like some sort of off-grey or with a tint of brown it's hard to describe. Obviously the grey goes good with any color I paint the exterior, but I want the electric windows and 92-96 door panels obviously have them almost standard. What would be involved? Will there already be mounts in my 1988 crank window doors for the electric motors? I assume I can swap out the track that clamps onto the bottom of the glass so I can use my original windows? Then of course a 12v lead to both doors, some even have electric door lock switches in the same panel. How complicated would that become, are there mounts for the electric door locks in an 88' door?

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 09-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Lightbulb

Here's something odd, my door threshold tag says 8-87 however all my books, paperwork, title, registration, and dash panel undersides, all say 1988. Wtf?

Name:  IMG_9037.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  112.9 KB

Quick Reply: 1988 Dakota Project?