1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck stalls upon bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris0908
Well, I figured before I ordered a ECU, I would go threw some wiring and do some testing, Well I wasn't getting fuel for some reason, (then I jumped the relay and BANG I had fuel) the spark was intermittent. I started checking some of the wiring, 3 or 4 wires were shorting out on the block, moved them away and taped them up temporary, now I have fuel, but no spark. The relays are working, but for some reason no spark. Is there a fuse just for spark somewhere like a relay or something I could have missed that I could have blown or should I just call a tow truck to pay me and haul it away?
Just follow the wires. Sprak plugs, to spark plug wires, to distributor, to coil, to CPS, to computer.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Chris0908
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since the truck went down, still can't correct the problem, I had less issues when the wires were messed up then I do now. I went out and bought another car, not to excited about it but I needed wheels. For work and play as well, haven't gone out to do anything in about 3 weeks, it SUCKS. Truck is still down, still can't get it running, so I ended up picking up a 96 Honda Accord for dirt cheap for the time being. I miss my truck I really do, but it doesn't want to cooperate. In the truck I have replaced the Pickup Coil, Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, Coil, Crank Position Sensor, corrected all the wires, anything that has to do with spark was replaced, my wallet is drained and so am I.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:42 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris0908
Well since the truck went down, still can't correct the problem, I had less issues when the wires were messed up then I do now. I went out and bought another car, not to excited about it but I needed wheels. For work and play as well, haven't gone out to do anything in about 3 weeks, it SUCKS. Truck is still down, still can't get it running, so I ended up picking up a 96 Honda Accord for dirt cheap for the time being. I miss my truck I really do, but it doesn't want to cooperate. In the truck I have replaced the Pickup Coil, Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, Coil, Crank Position Sensor, corrected all the wires, anything that has to do with spark was replaced, my wallet is drained and so am I.
Are you getting spark? If not, then have you had your alternator checked? What is the condition of the battery? Confirm distributor orientation and wiring of plug wires. If nothing then check the engine ground (or add a ground), for possible circuit interuption.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Chris0908
Professional

No power going to the coil means no spark from the coil to the distributor. The distributor is dead on where it needs to be, added a ground today with no luck on spark, Alternator will keep the battery while running at a steady 14V and the battery when the truck isn't running holds 12V, even pulled a new battery off the shelf to try it with no luck, I'm really at a loss with this truck, it has had 4 motors, 2 clutch's, a new head, and now this I can't win with the thing

Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Verify you got correct power and ground to the computer at the computer connector.
Like I said before did you check you got correct power and negative at the computer connector, battery power as well as ignition switched power. How about check the continuity from the computer to the coil. Did you check the power at the coil you said you check the - on the coil how about the +. The - comes from the computer the + is spliced in.

YOU HAVE A WIRE PROBLEM! YOU have to trace it down.

Did you check you fuel pressure to make sure the pump is working correctly as well?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Chris0908
Professional

I've got power running to and from the computer (from the half or so I have tried) and the correct voltage (I called one of the scrap yards come to find out my computer is from an automatic, and its for one year only so that isn't gonna be easy to find), fuel pump does kick on and it putting pressure out. I haven't tested all the wires yet, but because I work a lot I can only do so much with so little time. I'm got a few wires behind the motor to uncover to see if they were messed up. I think thurday night I'm gonna push the truck into the bay (god my back is gonna hurt me) and pull an all nighter and try and get to the bottom of it.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It sure sounds like you don't know what wires you need to check. Download the service manual and take time and study what needs power and ground and what doesn't

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Chris0908
Professional

Well, It's been a long time coming, but I have a bit of a update, Since June, I've been fighting with my 96 Dakota with a AMC 2.5. Had no spark for the longest. I check and changed the ground to no help, checked and repaired the crank position and other sensors to no help, checked and repaired or replaced some wiring to no help, well today I do have good news, I got my hands on a NEW ECU from Carquest, had to get it special ordered from them and well I got it today they programmed it for me and everything to the tune of $260 (got it at garage cost list was $530), well got out of my day job, and went to my truck, I flew there, disconnected the battery, unplugged the ECU, unbolted it, then reverse order for the install, got in the truck (had a booster pack with me just in case the battery was to dead) put the key in the ignition, hit my magical button and crank fart, crank fart, crank LIFE! She was breathing again I was happier then a fat kid in a candy store, or a fat chick on her period in a chocolate store, the belt squealed like a pig for a few then started smoking, I shut it down to find one of the pulley's was seized but but she is ALIVE again. Next day off get to pull it into the garage and plug a few sensors in, check the pulley's and all that good stuff then go to the local dealership that I took it to and hand them the bill for telling me my motor was seized cause they were to lazy to LOOK at it.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls upon bumps