1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Torque Converter woes! need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Soldak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter woes! need some assistance

so i bought this automatic 92 dak 4x2 about 3 months ago so far I've replaced the water pump ,all the water lines, the headers, the distributor cap ,rotor, and wires , and i just rebuild the transmission and got na ew TC for it..........

the torque converter i have is the cr28(the part number from advance auto) when i slide this torque converter onto my transmissions input shafts it goes in clicks and then i turn it and it slides down again for the second click

when i tried installing it i got it all to line up but the TC is not allowing the trans to fully close onto the block (1/2 an inch if not more away from that) the fly wheel(the ring of teeth around the TC) is butting up against the flex plate im thinking i need the slotted TC instead of the flat milled TQ can any tell me how i can know for sure (i already turned in my old TC as a core charge :/)

Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just from looking at the info on the site, it looks like it is not the correct one. Yes it should have the notch. The notch drives the fluid pump.
Here is the one you got.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPTRANAMS____

Here is one that has the specs and looks correct.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-05-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure the converter is fully seated?
Per the service manual "Verify that converter is fully seated. Use straight edge and steel ruler to check seating (Fig. 6). Surface of converter lugs should be 12.7 mm (1/2 in.) to rear of straight edge when converter is fully seated."

Are you also sure that it (the transmission as a whole) is not caught on something, and that the pilot hub (thing sticking out of the center) of the torque converter is aligned with the drive-plate?

There should also be alignment dowels on the block, is the transmission aligned with those too?

Obviously, for the transmission to properly slide to the block, it will have to be at about the same angle as the engine.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Soldak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Just from looking at the info on the site, it looks like it is not the correct one. Yes it should have the notch. The notch drives the fluid pump.
Here is the one you got.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPTRANAMS____

Here is one that has the specs and looks correct.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

thats what i was thinking

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
Are you sure the converter is fully seated?
Per the service manual "Verify that converter is fully seated. Use straight edge and steel ruler to check seating (Fig. 6). Surface of converter lugs should be 12.7 mm (1/2 in.) to rear of straight edge when converter is fully seated."

Are you also sure that it (the transmission as a whole) is not caught on something, and that the pilot hub (thing sticking out of the center) of the torque converter is aligned with the drive-plate?

There should also be alignment dowels on the block, is the transmission aligned with those too?

Obviously, for the transmission to properly slide to the block, it will have to be at about the same angle as the engine.
when me and my buddy were putting in the trans (he has about 5 years or real mechanical experience where i have about 8 years) the TC fell right in place (angled proper with the motor trans dowels lined up all the bolts in place ready to tighten) but it just wouldn't close up when tightened after looking at the flex plate and TC when mounted the ring gear was butted up against that and there was still a distance between the motor and trans, so my neighbors uncle was down for the holidays (mechanic and restorative mechanic for about 20 years) came over and had the same issue so we rechecked the splines and counted them on both the TC and the Trans then he attempted to re-seat the TC onto the shaft and it seemed like it went in but the same results. i just wanted to make sure i needed the slotted TC before i ordered it from the auto store.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter woes! need some assistance