1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cutting bed to access fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting bed to access fuel pump

Last night I replaced the fuel pump/sending unit. I did the tank drop method and man was that a pain in the butt. After getting it all back together the fuel gauge doesn't work at all, whereas previously it was inaccurate when the tank became almost empty. The old pump was definitely dying, so at least I got that fixed and I wont be stranded anymore.

I'm going to cut a hole in the bed to create an access panel and I want to know if anyone has any specific dimensions and how I should determine where to start cutting.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
qlty94
Rookie

I would take careful measurements and reinforce the bed after doing this,throwing a heavy weight into the bed in the future could damage the pump.Good luck and get back and tell us how you did it and your measurements.I am in the process of lifting the bed of my my 94 extra cab Dakota.You didn't mention the year,make,& model of your truck??

Last edited by qlty94; 08-13-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Thanks. That video helps a little. I have a 1994 Dakota. I'm mostly worried about what to use to cut it with (grinder or sawzall?) If I use the sawzall I risk going too deep and accidentally cutting a hose or wire.

I'm not too worried about filling the bed with a heavy load because I plan on putting an oversize steel plate down with bolts in all 4 corners. That should make up for the missing plate. After this I was planning on maybe putting a plastic bedliner in.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you've done it a few times it's not so bad, I can have mine on the ground in 10 minutes now, about the same to put it back in

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
kahanabob
Captain

i did it to a ford bronco used a skill saw with metal blade set to correct depth. have thought about doing it on my 90 dakota but the clearance is very little to the wires and lines i decided to pass. maybe loosen the bed and raise it up a few inches, support with a 2X4 then make the cut????.
my issue is there are no sending units in the world for a 90.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
rj67bu
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always pickup up the bed 4 bolts on each side a ground strap and a couple screws for the filler tube. pick the bed up on one side put a couple 4x4's under it, usually takes about 15 minuets. I tried dropping the tank once that was a pain. not to change the subject but what were the sypmtoms of your bad fuel pump DupermanDave? I'm haveing problems with my Dakota can't tell if it's fuel or electric

Last edited by rj67bu; 08-02-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
RawDog
Amateur

Originally Posted by rj67bu
I've always pickup up the bed
Me too, I just unbolt the bed, and use a block and tackle to lift the whole thing from the truck frame, and drive the truck out from under it. It's nice to be able to get at everything without any hassles.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by rj67bu
I've always pickup up the bed 4 bolts on each side a ground strap and a couple screws for the filler tube. pick the bed up on one side put a couple 4x4's under it, usually takes about 15 minuets. I tried dropping the tank once that was a pain. not to change the subject but what were the sypmtoms of your bad fuel pump DupermanDave? I'm haveing problems with my Dakota can't tell if it's fuel or electric
I was seeing a lack of power, especially on the interstate, and it has been randomly stalling when the gas gets a little under half a 1/4 a tank. Lately it's been whining really loud and at idle I could hear the engine sputter in pace with the loudness of the pump whine. To describe it more, the pump would wine and wine and then it would go quiet for a split second and during that split second the engine would sputter a bit. The engine would pick up and the whining would get louder again.

I thought about pulling the bed up, but from underneath I could only find 2 of the bolts that hold the bed in place. I didn't want to deal with finding them and working in such cramped spaces, so I decided to just make a panel.

-edit-
I just went outside to see why I couldn't find those bolts. I was able to find them, but it's weird because 3 are in an open space and the 4th seems like it's tucked away but has a hole where you can access it with a socket. I think what I'll do is try removing the bed in the parking lot and see where that gets me. I'm trying to keep it simple and not use up my parent's garage. Everytime I use their garage I get cocky and end up removing or breaking a critical part that leaves me stranded.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 08-02-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Siwon
Professional

pictures!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, unless the tank is full, it's not that bad to drop it. 3/8 ratchet to drop the driveshaft, 5/8 deep socket for the two straps, fuel line and evap line come off by hand, a hose clamp on the filler neck and vent tube and it's out. If your truck has the optional fuel tank skid plate it'll take a little more time of course.

Quick Reply: Cutting bed to access fuel pump