1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What do I need to do and check to start up a Dakota thats been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It didnt have a cam pick up, picked one up, installed new cam pick up and crank sensors, and not expecting it to even begin to fire off (gas has been in it for over 2 years) she cranked maybe a second and fired off. Idles great, only issue is ce light and maint required lights are on.

Bein its sat a couple years I am thinking this is normal but there seems to be smoke or steam coming off it as its running. It doesnt smell like smoke though.

Fluids all checked good and hoses are decent.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can find out what the codes are by cycling the key on/off 3xs ending in the on position and watching the check engine light flashes. For a list of codes, see the FAQ section.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

ok, same as my 02 then only it reads out a number.

also the tach doesnt work, wouldnt it read off the crank or cam pickups?

also, an input on the steam or smoke stuff? It goes away and clears out once the motor is shut off. It seems more excessive when driving or reving it up.

only issue now is the tranny, something slips and then it will catch and jump and drive fine for a while. Clutch packs? Torque converter? Just caused by sitting for a while?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You said the gas has been sitting there for a few years well most likely it is tarnished and that is why it is smoking. Best thing to do is drop the tank and drain all the old and rise it with new gas and drain it a few times then add in fresh gas. But that is a lot of work you can also try adding in some fuel additive and lots of fresh gas. Also with how long it sat there is oils in the system that has to be burnt off.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

It aint out the pipe though, its coming out of the engine compartment

Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Planning on it being a beater/fence fixxing rig, as well as a get around truck for college especially in the winter so I dont have to fire up the diesel for 10 blocks.

Intent is a big steak maker on front and a flatbed on back. as well as a tool box and stuff.

I let it idle for a half hour - 45 min today and the smoke seems to have gone away. Tach started working and the CE light went off but the maint required is still on. Poured a can of seafoam into the remaing 1/4 tank and will top it off once I get the plates installed and can get to a gas station.

Also poured in a jug of Lucas tranny repair/anti slip. The guy in o'reily swears by the stuff so its worth a shot. Otherwise time for that manual swap.

Quick Reply: What do I need to do and check to start up a Dakota thats been sitting