1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota for first car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
renegade_987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Dakota for first car?

Hey guys, newb here. Im 16 and really want a Dodge for a first car. I found a 1993 Dodge Dakota, extended cab, 5.2L 4x4 with 135K. Would that be a good first car? Or should I get something newer? I thought it would be good because its cheap and I wouldn't mind if I banged it up. TIA for your answers

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Tagi
Amateur

My 90 Ram with the 318 has been a great first truck.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

So long as its in decent running shape I say go for it.
Dakotas are a solid truck and the V6 and V8s they have are pretty bullet proof in regards to how much of a beating they can take.

Both of my trucks have been dakotas
One a 1998 2wd Sport with a 318.
My 2nd and current is a 93 4x4 LE with a 318. I love this damn truck

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

I also got a 1993 5.2 LE 4X4 for a first car, its given me some headaches but i wouldnt give it away for anything, got in a fender bender in the winter and tore the bumper off a honda civic and i only got a small dent in the bumper haha, just make sure to take care of it and it will last you a long time. i got it when i turned 18 out of a scrap yard, im 20 now and its been great

Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I've had "first" cars bought for me or given to me, but my Dakota was the one I actually kinda paid for and put my heart into and even though its sittin' in the yard, but still works in Drive until I find out what exactly is wrong with it, its never let me down and I've put it through some stuff. In other words...you WILL NOT regret getting one!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
g. man
Veteran

1. Can you afford to dump fuel in it all the time? They are not easy on gas.
2. How much is it? What condition is the truck in?
3. Chrysler is know for crappy wiring and computers. Make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic.
3. It has fairly low miles for the year, but was it taken care of? Low miles doesn't mean much when the previous owner didn't change fluids regular. I'd rather buy a high mileage vehicle that was taken care of, than one with low miles, and owned by a douche.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

Originally Posted by g. man
1. Can you afford to dump fuel in it all the time? They are not easy on gas.
2. How much is it? What condition is the truck in?
3. Chrysler is know for crappy wiring and computers. Make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic.
3. It has fairly low miles for the year, but was it taken care of? Low miles doesn't mean much when the previous owner didn't change fluids regular. I'd rather buy a high mileage vehicle that was taken care of, than one with low miles, and owned by a douche.

Good luck!
couldnt agree more, these things (event though a small block) suck up a good amount of gas, i get around 11 or 12mpg city and not to much better on the hwy, so it is a gas hog, and it would be very wise to get it checked out, i bought mine without any knowledge of what the PO had done for maintenance. After i got the tranny problem fixed i had to replace a timing chain and gears that had large chips and chunks and then had to buy a new transfer case that had two 4 inch holes in the case that the chain had chewed up. so i would look at anything that uses oil (differential, tranny, and engine) the engine might have been well taken care of but dont over look things

Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

As long as it's in good running shape (runs good, everything works, not a lot of rust) I'd say go for it. I drove my dad's old S10 and a buddy's Ranger for a year before buying my Dakota last month, I'd recommend a truck to anyone for a first vehicle. Gas isn't cheap though so just keep that in mind.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a 93 ext cab with a v8 as my first truck...i loved it...

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota for first car?