1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Optima Yellow Top batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Yellow Top batteries

So I've been looking into a new battery for my Truck. I figure replacing it will be nothing but a good thing since I don't have any idea how old this one is the tags were not popped off so age is unknown. Along with my power issues I figure a new battery is step one.

I have the option on two batteries, both I figure I'm getting some pretty sweet deals on.
One has 700 CCA and is a bit smaller then my stock Battery. *Apparently they don't make the stock Dakota sized battery* This battery I can get for $225.

The other battery has 900 CCA and is pretty damn big. Me and the parts guy I was working with figured that if I modified the battery platform a little it would fit just fine. This monster I can get for $265

Now my question is do I really need 900 CCA since I know it shouldn't hurt the truck. But the 700 sounds pretty good to.

Those of you with Yellow tops have any advice?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Over $200 for a battery!? Wtf? I know an Optima at my local Advance wasn't that much and never would I pay that much. I think it was like $150 at most and thats about my limit.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

Canada man. We get hit by duty fees for things coming across border. So our prices are a bit higher for most things sadly :/

Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM
zencyl
Professional

I think you should look for another parts supplier. I can get yellow tops at the O'Riellys down the road for 110-150 depending on how big and if its on sale.

edit: that sucks about the duty fees.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:16 AM
festerw
Veteran

I just had to replace my Yellow Top after 10 years, it went through 3 vehicles, 2 that had a plow. So 8 years of heavy use and 2 of starting duty.

I will say if you don't have any heavy amp draw or plan on doing crazy off roading I don't see the point of running one.

You can get (in the states anyway) high CCA batteries for well under $100. I bought a 1000 CCA one for $65.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya if you don't need that many CCA's don't waste your money. For me I got 2 Yellow Tops on my truck, but I do extremely push my electrical system on my truck.

But if you do need the more JUICE go for it. I will never buy any basic brand anymore. The BEST Optimas are the ones made in USA, but I don't believe any are made in USA anymore. All new ones, that I have seen anyway are Mexico made which don't have that great of performance the old USA ones did.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

Well I do take the truck off road a fair amount when I can afford the gas. (Its been a tight year for me) And I also plan on putting on lights, stereo, and if I ever get the chance to a winch. So I think the Yellow top is a step in the right direction for now.
But I'm leaning towards the 700CCA since I know even with all those toys I wouldn't need 900 CCA.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by Rabid21
Canada man. We get hit by duty fees for things coming across border. So our prices are a bit higher for most things sadly :/
Lol "Canada, man." But that does suck!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 PM
festerw
Veteran

Originally Posted by Rabid21
But I'm leaning towards the 700CCA since I know even with all those toys I wouldn't need 900 CCA.
Common misconception but the CCA power does not necessarily give a good indication of power to drive accessories. If that is what you are looking for check the Reserve Capacity or the Amp Hour ratings, anything equal to or higher then the stock 550 CCA will be sufficient.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Originally Posted by festerw
Common misconception but the CCA power does not necessarily give a good indication of power to drive accessories. If that is what you are looking for check the Reserve Capacity or the Amp Hour ratings, anything equal to or higher then the stock 550 CCA will be sufficient.
Nah I know that CCA doesn't contribute to the amount of gadgets I have running. If I recall CCA is the juice it pumps out for starting the vehicle.But those high numbers are tempting lol.

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow Top batteries