1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Removing Cab and front Fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Cab and front Fenders?

vehicle- 93 Dakota 3.9l Reg cab

Hey, It's been a while since I been on the 1st gen forum section due to the fact that my 93 Dakota fail inspection for a rusted frame and I been paying more attention to my second gen truck. Anyway I'm getting ready to save my frame on my truck and already removed the bumpers, bed, and exhaust. I would like to remove the cab if possible leaving the dashboard intact by disconnecting the wire harness. I will use a backhoe to lift the cab off the truck frame.

So does anyone have any tips on how it's done or has ever removed there truck cab? How many bolts hold on the front fenders?

thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome back to 1st Gen. LOL

I removed the cab when I did my 4wd swap. It is not hard. Unplug everything under the hood and under the cab. I wish I could help more but it is pretty much straight forward.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
logancounterman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did this on my truck we opened the truck doors put a heavy duty strap though the cab and lift from the top using both ends of the strap. work great.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Senate427
Veteran

I hope to have the cab off this Saturday and for some reason I keep thinking the fenders will be hard to get off. Did any of you guys happen to repaint your frame because that's what I need to do and I'm wondering if POR15 is a good choice paint?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 AM
rj67bu

the cab and dash are 1 piece, I've used the por15 it's good stuff but a can of primer and paint will work just as well. if you use the por15 make sure everything is clean no oily film

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
logancounterman
Veteran

to take the fenders were a ok job. the wiper crowl has to come off alll so. i forget what it covers but its something. i guess you could try leaving the front clip on but i romoved mine. good luck with the cab and frame clean up.. i'm going to look up what i used . it worked great. if you didn't buy paint yet get something in a paint can. and paint it on. if you buy the bigger can of paint you get a lot out of it.

i'm not sure if it was valspar but it was the
Tractor & Implement Enamel Paint

the link shows red paint but you can get it in black and many other colors

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...?SKU=998037503

Old 08-20-2011, 12:13 AM
bill55az
Veteran

leave the fenders on.....when you put a strap thru the cab, run an extra strap from the top of that strap to the bottom of the core support to level out the lift...making a 3 point connection to your lifting hook.
When I did it, the engine, tranny, radiator and AC condensor were already out. The fenders and core support don't weigh very much.
there will be 4 body mounts under the cab and 2 more under the core support....unhook the wiring, the steering linkage, the brake lines at the master cylinder, and whatever else that looks like it needs to be disconnected...

Last edited by bill55az; 08-20-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM
wise3489

ok, i know this is a bit of an old thread, but i have a question with removing the cab on a 95 dakota with the V8, can the cab be pulled off with the fenders on and with the engine/trans still in? or is it best to pull those first? I want to take the cab off to fix some rust that is under my drivers door on frame

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wise3489
ok, i know this is a bit of an old thread, but i have a question with removing the cab on a 95 dakota with the V8, can the cab be pulled off with the fenders on and with the engine/trans still in? or is it best to pull those first? I want to take the cab off to fix some rust that is under my drivers door on frame
Don't be scared to start a new thread. The front fenders will lift with the body, but if the body is going to be completely removed, then just remove the fenders to keep the stress on those bolts down.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
bran1har
Rookie

I did the same on my '96. Frame rusted and cracked at the rear. I fixed it. Then the control arms brackets rusted and broke off while I was driving. That was the last straw. I bought a junk dakota and did a frame swap. I used a car rotiserie to lift the cab up. Be careful as this job turns into a money pit real fast as you realizes all the stuff that should be replaced while everything is taken apart. I did new brake lines, fuel lines, shocks, pressure washed and repainted the entire frame, totally restored and then I also fixed all the things wrong with the engine and exhaust as long as I had easy access to it and I ended up spending like $1000 + parts truck cost. After all that and the truck being put back together, a plow came along and sideswiped the cab. I have a thread on fixing that. This truck is cursed and did not deserve to be saved but I did it for some strange reason, I just love the st gen Dakotas even thought they are sorta worthless in the eyes of others.

And yes, remove the bad with engine in and fenders on, so that the radiator support will come off too. Makes it a lot easier. There is a whole procedure for what to remove in the service manual.

Quick Reply: Removing Cab and front Fenders?