1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Update on my problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my problem.

So a while ago I came here when my truck quit moving. Me, my buddy, my mechanic, and even a few of you came to the conclusion that it was my transfer case and that the chain inside was busted and slapping around. Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNy3obB-tuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(you can hear the noise for the first time right before the 20 sec mark..the rest of the video is just me putting it in D and R and showing that sometimes the noise is faint, sometimes not..and you can see the truck move just a tad 3 times near the end of the video..I had stuff in front of it though so I couldn't actually drive forward)

I could see..or hear that being the problem. My question now though is...after I finally got the truck back home, I started it up (oooooooooh, how I missed the sound of that Dodge starter and the growl of my exhaust!!) and thought "hey, worth a try..." so I put it in drive...engine gets a load on it..truck jerks just a little, just enough so say "hey, I'm in gear!" and I do 2 lil circles around the yard til I just kinda roll to a stop...then it takes a minute and a few tries til it engages again and I drive up to where I wanna park.

And its been like that since. I can hop in, maybe first try, maybe third or tenth, but it goes into drive and moves. I've put it into 4WD, high and low, and it engages and goes then too. Theres a bit less torque, but I can still spin the tires. But back to the point...it either does nothing when I shift into gear (sometimes you can hear/feel a load on the engine), makes that noise in the video (sometimes it will drive with that noise), or it just drives with no noise. Also, no reverse...it does put a load on the engine sometimes and a few times has wanted to move, but just quite wouldn't.

So...thoughts? Haha

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

You can hear the noise for the first time right before the 20 sec mark..the rest of the video is just me putting it in D and R and showing that sometimes the noise is faint, sometimes not..and you can see the truck move just a tad 3 times near the end of the video..I had stuff in front of it though so I couldn't actually drive forward...

I could see..or hear that being the problem. My question now though is...after I finally got the truck back home, I started it up (oooooooooh, how I missed the sound of that Dodge starter and the growl of my exhaust!!) and thought "hey, worth a try..." so I put it in drive...engine gets a load on it..truck jerks just a little, just enough so say "hey, I'm in gear!" and I do 2 lil circles around the yard til I just kinda roll to a stop...then it takes a minute and a few tries til it engages again and I drive up to where I wanna park.

And its been like that since. I can hop in, maybe first try, maybe third or tenth, but it goes into drive and moves. I've put it into 4WD, high and low, and it engages and goes then too. Theres a bit less torque, but I can still spin the tires. But back to the point...it either does nothing when I shift into gear (sometimes you can hear/feel a load on the engine), makes that noise in the video (sometimes it will drive with that noise), or it just drives with no noise. Also, no reverse...it does put a load on the engine sometimes and a few times has wanted to move, but just quite wouldn't.

So...thoughts? Haha

Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 AM
festerw
Veteran

Is the fluid topped off.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Yeah and fluid and filter changed a while ago and changed transfer case and differential fluids a little later.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

i had the chain in my case fall of and it wore out to biga** holes in the case and you could hear and see the chain rattlin around from the inside

Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

As far as I know, no holes in the case...I'll check in the morning to be sure. But either way, it still goes somewhat and in 4WD...so maybe theres just a ton of slop in the chain or something and it needs replaced? No idea on my end...but if thats possible, I'd prefer that over a new case and/or tranny for sure.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

mine shifted into 4wd drive perfectly, dont know if it was workin because i never looked into untill i wanted to know what the hell was rattling, it could just becoming loose but it would be a lot cheaper to replace the chain than the whole thing

Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I'm hoping its that easy...never is though.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Didn't find any holes. One or two very tiny surface cracks, no fluid leaking from them. But there is fluid on the case, but I think its from a seal or gasket. I'll do a better check in the morning.

Quick Reply: Update on my problem.