1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

post seafoam gunk help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM
gatorchin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default post seafoam gunk help

ok..so i used seafoam a couple of days ago...truck has 153,660 miles on it..was about 3,000 since my last oil change so i figured i'd give this stuff a shot.i was hesitant about using in the crankcase, but i did anyway..1/3 of can through vacuum line(brake booster), 1/3 in gas tank, and 1/3 in crankcase...started it up after 10 minutes, didn't get that much smoke, no where near what i see on youtube..i take it for a short drive...i didn't really feel any difference in throttle response like i have heard...so after putting about 50 miles on it, i go to change the oil this morning and this is what i find when i take off the oil cap(only on one side, other side looks normal)

Name:  100_0623.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  144.7 KB

after swiping my finger inside
Name:  100_0640.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  46.9 KB

so my question is how bad is this??? have i opened a can of worms with this stuff?? do i need to remove the valve cover and clean this crap up??

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:26 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea, but it looks as if you have gotten one of few failed attempts with seafoam. I will post to subscribe as I am interested to figure this out with you.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not an expert on Seafoam so I suggest to go to there website and see if you followed their procedures. Check out their FAQ, maybe others had this problem. Give them an email, since it is their product that caused that sludge. http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM
gatorchin
Amateur

i contacted seafoam via email.seeing how it is saturday i will probably have to wait until monday until i hear back...i checked out the procedures and i followed the directions, except for one..i didn't let the engine reach normal operating temp before adding the seafoam..it was about 85 degrees if that would make any difference...it probably idled about 1 min when i added it to the oil...(it ran long enough me for to disconnect the brake booster line and suck up 1/3 of the seafoam)i don't know whether this would cause the sludge like that on one side or not...when i added the seafoam i actually poured it down the other side, the side that is clean...we'll see what they say about it

Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats not good :/ i never added seafoam to my oil , just threw the throttle body and brakebooster. you may have to flush the motor thats pretty sludged up

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats brutal man. I used seafoam on my 99 Alero and it seemed to help it a bunch. However I didnt put ANY into the crankcase or brake booster. Vacuum lines are too hard to get at in those cars so I didn't bother. All I did was dump it into the gas tank and it seems to have helped the car out significantly. I also posted because I would like to know how the problem got resolved just in case I run into this issue next time I use seafoam

Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
gatorchin
Amateur

here's the reply i got back from the seafoam rep..

I do not know what kind of truck you have but some engines are prone to building sludge. What I see in your picture is oil deposits. I would add Sea Foam to your oil and run for a longer period. Sea Foam is pure petroleum and has no chemical additives and is safe for long term use. I would add to your oil and check your oil often for color and when it looks dirty change it and repeat adding Sea Foam until the oil deposits are gone.

Jim Davis
Sea Foam Sales Co.
Technical Service Manager
ASE Certified Automotive Technician

Old 09-07-2011, 02:33 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you may have to run kerocene thats not good

Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
gatorchin
Amateur

so i guess short of tearing the engine down, which is not a real viable option right now as this is my only mode of transportation to and from work, i'm left with some type of engine treatment.. ...so if i could get your guys help on a little poll..vote with your experience and best guess as to which will do more good than harm..here are my choices..(feel free to mention any i have not listed)

1. more seafoam
2. lucas oil treatment
3. kerosene
4. diesel
5. auto-rx
6. BG engine flush
7. other

Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Not Lucas in your case. need to flush it but first i would remove the valve covers and clean as much out first. maybe #3 or #6...........

Quick Reply: post seafoam gunk help