1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Keeps Stalling Out?? (3.9L Carbureted)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Engine Keeps Stalling Out?? (3.9L Carbureted)

This is such an embarrassing problem getting stuck in intersections and such. The problem has been progressively getting worse where the truck needed to sit for 5-10min before it would start again. Happens idling or while driving (throttle) so we replaced the inline fuel filter, did not help. So we dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump and screen, which seemed to help but this problem still happens just not as frequently. It's a 1988 with only 71K on it, if it stops running and we try to crank it over the carb stays dry so it is a fuel problem. My grandfather did replace the metal fuel lines a while back with rubber transmission cooling hose, all 5/16 (feed line, return line, and I think a vent hose?) HOWEVER my manual claims all 3 of the lines are 3 different diameters.... then again it also said I had a mechanical fuel pump which I do not have so who knows. The truck did sit untouched in a barn from 1996-2008 but was then driven in the summers from 2008-2011 maybe I just have a gummy jet or dirty carb?? Would carb malfunctions like that cause it to appear dry like it does when it does not start?? If I am traveling at higher speeds with coasting time, if it dies/loose throttle then I can usually get it to pick back up within a few seconds, almost as if the drivetrain is turning the engine creating some sort of fuel vacuum... I don't know but if anyone has any thoughts please share because I am very frustrated, Thanks!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate carbs they are always so touchy. I wouldn't doubt that the carb needs a rebuild yes maybe clogged jets, sticky or leaky floats ect. When it dies and doesn't start, do you have good spark to the plugs?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I hate carbs they are always so touchy. I wouldn't doubt that the carb needs a rebuild yes maybe clogged jets, sticky or leaky floats ect. When it dies and doesn't start, do you have good spark to the plugs?
I have not checked for spark during the moments of hesitation, but if you take the air filter off the carb appears to be dry with no sputtering gas as I am told it should (other people look at it while I crank it over like people who push me out of the road haha they all say its dry and not getting any gas) I just put new Bosch Platinum Plus plugs in it today. I'm thinking possibly the gas line needs to be replaced again this time CORRECTLY. My grandfather has like 3 or more pieces all spliced together using double male end couplers (bottle necking the hose if you ask me) from the tank to the firewall is rubber and then the original metal lines remain in the engine compartment. I get a check engine light I noticed but ONLY when I am cranking it (the light will blink) but go off completely as soon as I let off the starter.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I took the gas line off the carb and it is getting gas, but checked for spark and am getting none! So I replaced the ignition coil but it still stalls out! I guess I will change the distributor cap and spindle tomorrow... I don't know what else it could be, what about the external coil resistor?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Think we got it! The distributor pickup coil seems to have solved it (so far) I had no idea they were such a common failure part. Is there a way to test the old one to see for sure if it was dead or not? Maybe a multi-meter test of some sort? I can't even tell you how close I was to throwing in the towel and taking it off the road...

Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure there is a test, most auto parts stores can test it for you for free.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I'm sure there is a test, most auto parts stores can test it for you for free.
Well my local AutoZone certainly can't

Drove the hell out of it today not a single stall.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may look at that possibility on my '93. It may be fuel injected, but a similar problem, except that mine restarts every time.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 AM
CaptBuzzkill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '75 318 has been doing the same to me. I got her with water in the tank, ran her a while until she just would not run that way. Managed to empty the tank and refill with good gas; she ran fine for a few days, then started acting up again. Now I go through fuel at an alarming rate and have to stop every few miles because she just won't go any further.

Any other information you need?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by CaptBuzzkill
My '75 318 has been doing the same to me. I got her with water in the tank, ran her a while until she just would not run that way. Managed to empty the tank and refill with good gas; she ran fine for a few days, then started acting up again. Now I go through fuel at an alarming rate and have to stop every few miles because she just won't go any further.

Any other information you need?
Is your heat light in the dash burnt out? Sounds like its overheating, check the coil pickup in the distributor anyway.

Quick Reply: Engine Keeps Stalling Out?? (3.9L Carbureted)