1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 AM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

Going to change the fuel pump on our 92 Dakota and wondering if anybody knows the exact spot to die grind a pce out of the box that we can re and re it from the top. Thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Bump
Veteran

I don't know why people think its so tough to drop the tank. I can change a dakota fuel pump myself in about 2 hrs. Why cut up the box?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM
kahanabob
Captain

underside of bed sits too close to the top of the fuel pump to be grinding in that area. i was going to do mine but nixed that thought. remove the bed to get at it...

Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Bump
Veteran

Dropping tank is 2 bolts and a couple screw clamps. Pulling bed is 4 mounts that are usually rusted to hell, and then having to move the bed.

Never did understand all the hype about not removing the tanks....

Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

there are pros & cons to doing it both ways, I know when I replaced mine, I removed the bed. For some, dropping the tank can be tedious & cumbersome if it has between 1/2 to a full tank of gas, plus the hassle of sand,dirt, & other debris falling into your face as you remove the tank strap mounting nuts provided they aren't rusted out as well. I have done it both ways and I prefer removing the bed. Actually, you don't have to remove the bed all the way, just removed the 4 bolts holding down the bed, prop up the front of the bed by the fuel pump with a jackstand and it's super easy. Last time I dropped the tank, I had a spider fall in my left eye, (while I had the truck on a lift standing up) so again it's just personal preference.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

Thanks for the replies, will let you know what we decide. Seems like grinding the box is not the way to go.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
qlty94
Rookie

On my 94 V6 3.9 xtra cab Dakota I dropped the tank the 1st time not too easy with out a lift.the second time I took the four bolts (little rust) out on the drivers side,loosened but not completely out the 4 bolts on the pass side,took out the 4 screws on the filler hose to fender escutcheon and was able to lift and chock the bed up on an angle to access the pump all by my self with Wife placing timbers between bed and frame.An old bumper jack came in handy,

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump-94-dakota-fuel-pump-002.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Just wondered why you had to do the pump twice? Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 PM
qlty94
Rookie

Originally Posted by dobaroy
Just wondered why you had to do the pump twice? Thanks for the reply.
Second time I had a pin hole leak in the nylon line coming out of the fuel pump near the top of the tank.Still can't figure how it happened,perhaps road debree??I wound up replacing both fuel lines (All rusted) all the way up to the end of the eng block

Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

That sux about the pinhole leak. Probably a real good idea to replace the fuel lines at the same time, do you know offhand what size they were? and did you use steel lines?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump