1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Reindexed torsion keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Sauxon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The measurements are only before and after the front end overhaul. Before I dropped it back down. I do believe that I only have about a 1" lift from the first measurements.
My rear is sitting just above 37" I do believe. That is after the add a leaf install
I wonder if they are 30.5s.... hmm I am too lazy to go check right now

Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so they are only front measurements. So the pass side went up 2.5" and the drivers side went up 4...

Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Sauxon
Professional

Originally Posted by Sauxon
Yes, just shy of 3" on passenger and just a bit more then 3.5" on drivers. That may have been my problem but when I had it jacked up with stands under the frame I still got something catching. I might go take a look right now actually
I think that my problem was the bump stops. Local places are asking around $15 a piece though and rockauto has for ~$5. Debating now weather I would rather wait for them or not

Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Sauxon
Professional

I do not know anyone from Winnipeg that has ordered from Roackauto so I am unsure of what kind of shipping times to expect. I might order them from there just so I can find out what they are like. I have been wanting to order for a while, just didn't know what. Plus I called my local store and whoever answered the phone didn't even know what I was talking about...

Strange I read your post then replied and it showed up before yours....

Last edited by Sauxon; 11-17-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Tripping balls
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Bump
Veteran

My last order was from Rockauto and was great, but I do try to spend my money at local auto stores as much as possible when its only a minor cost difference. They are the ones who will be there on sunday when you are in dire need of a part and the cheap online places wont be able to get it to you in time.

Keeps the local stores open and money in the community, IMO.

$20 is $20, though.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Sauxon
Professional

Sorry everyone!! I really know that I should have updated this months ago
I ended up ordering in some replacement bump stops at a local store. I forget how much they were.
After fighting with the rust etc I finally got them in (the upper ones)
Then found out that or course, you should always replace stuff in pairs as the bottom ones fell out. Go figure
I then jacked up my keys some more until JUST before the control arms were touching the stops.
Overall I ended up with about 2" of lift I believe. I do have pictures but can't find them right now. My axles have been fine.

I am really sorry for not updating sooner as I remember a few of you were worried about this issue.

My truck does sit approximately 1" higher on the passenger side then it does on the drivers. I am unsure if it was like this before or not but it is front and back. I know I have a ruined body mount and my box does not line up properly. I think it may be an issue with one torsion bar being more worn out? Maybe the previous owner was heavy set, I am unsure but damn it bothers me

Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauxon
My truck does sit approximately 1" higher on the passenger side then it does on the drivers. I am unsure if it was like this before or not but it is front and back. I know I have a ruined body mount and my box does not line up properly. I think it may be an issue with one torsion bar being more worn out? Maybe the previous owner was heavy set, I am unsure but damn it bothers me
All you have to do is tighten or loosen one side to get the balance correct, that is why they are adjustable independently.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Sauxon
Professional

I was trying that but I could loosen one side and the other would come down or vise versa. Its quite strange but I may play with it some more on the hoist or get the shop to take a look when it goes in for the alignment.
I have noticed a few places where the truck has been in an accident so I wonder if other stuff is bent or something

Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM
bill55az
Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I know it is a little off topic but today I was at the U-Pull it looking for a driveshaft after I dented mine good this weekend, I'll post up pics and videos later.

At the Junkyard I couldn't believe my eyes, I found a 92 dakota with the Trailmaster $3,000 lift kit that is no longer made. It was complete. I feel so sick for leaving it there, but I have more lift and a stronger axle now. But I wanted that kit for so long and every time I go there I check for that kit, and now I found one and I don't need it.

Heck if anyone wants it come pull it In Albuquerque New Mexico. Maybe a few hundred?

I think I saw one of those near me, but not being knowledgeable in this area, I don't know what parts are included....
the body lift was obvious, just spacers....easy to pull...if you can put arrows on your pics indicating which parts are included in the kit, I can get them easily enough...

Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bill55az
I think I saw one of those near me, but not being knowledgeable in this area, I don't know what parts are included....
the body lift was obvious, just spacers....easy to pull...if you can put arrows on your pics indicating which parts are included in the kit, I can get them easily enough...
This site should help. http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/project_1hidak.html

If you still need me to point out pieces after viewing the pictures let me know.

Quick Reply: Reindexed torsion keys