1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 Modifications and Economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:30 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Injectors are too big. Put your stock injectors back in and see if it helps.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Deathkota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told my mechanic to get 19# four hole ev1 ford injectors. But after getting teh wrong part he asked a friend who did more Dodge mods. The guy recomended the 22# Blue Mopar Racing injectors.

I found this and it looks like my motor came stock with 18# injectors:

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/arch...p?t-46497.html

I was also concerned with the Kegger Mod since it is the only other unusual mod. Here is a pic of it just after cuttinga nd before polishing and a sonic bath:

Name:  intake.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  74.0 KB

Does it look ok?

I was thinking about reseting the computer to try and relearn it again, but it sounds like the injectors won't be allowing it. Is there a Mopar 19# injector with 4 holes?

How does running rich cause it to feel less powerful?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Deathkota
Amateur

Still driving around with the big 22# injectors, waiting for the Fords injectors to come in. It is guzzling gas and feels very bogged down.

In the meantime, gears are becoming a hot topic. I think I've decided 4.11's would be good. A little more power to overcome the 29's and automatic trans.

I also wired in a SuperLift Truspeed. It was hard to find much info on it. But, I could not adjust it while driving, because my trans apparently has a cable driven speedo assisted by the speed sensor for shifting. I adjusted it according to the instructions and it definitely moved the shift points to a better range. I'm thinking about fudging it either way to get a little more grab.

Made me start to wonder about adjusting the speedo back when I gear down. I understand it is just a sprocket that goes in the trans/speedo cable connection. Does Dodge stock a wide range of sprockets to accurately adjust for this?

The truck is starting to sound beastly and I can't wait to hear/feel it with the correct fuel flow and gearing.

Oh yeah, I thought some of the guys on here might enjoy this part, too. I had my mechanic make custom upper arms with heims.
I had rounded out the edges of my new tires that I got in Ocotober....and this ain't my daily driver.
According to the local alignment shop, Dodge trucks have little to no adjustability for camber?!?!? And with a 2" coil spacer, the upper arms were resting on the frame.

The cross shaft was removed and tabs were welded in it's place. New arms were constructed to match the geometry, but allow an adjustment to shorten the arm. They definitely improved the ride by not being on the frame and the tires stand straighter now.
My mechanic rocks. roughroadfabrication.com

Last edited by Deathkota; 03-30-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

every Dakota I have seen says 195/75 R 15 for stock tires on the door jmb;
I have never seen a 195/75 R 15 tire. I had the dealer run the VIN on my 94 2wd shortbed reg cab and the dealer printout says it had 215/75R15s as OE; in fact i still have the orig spare. I have seen a few shortbed 4 cyl trucks that ran 205s....
most that I remember from my days in the tire and alignment shop were 215/75R15s Goodyear invicta's as OE equip....

Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathkota

Oh yeah, I thought some of the guys on here might enjoy this part, too. I had my mechanic make custom upper arms with heims.
I had rounded out the edges of my new tires that I got in Ocotober....and this ain't my daily driver.
According to the local alignment shop, Dodge trucks have little to no adjustability for camber?!?!? And with a 2" coil spacer, the upper arms were resting on the frame.

The cross shaft was removed and tabs were welded in it's place. New arms were constructed to match the geometry, but allow an adjustment to shorten the arm. They definitely improved the ride by not being on the frame and the tires stand straighter now.
My mechanic rocks. roughroadfabrication.com
find a different mechanic I was an alignment guy 18 years and never had trouble getting Dakotas aligned unless something was bad (ie. springs) or modified (lifted or lowered)

Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Deathkota
Amateur

Got the Ford 19# injectors in, it's definitely not flooded now, better acceleration. However, at a stop, it idles pretty rough. The computer wasn't reset since install, so I think I'm going to try that. Any other suggestions?

I also got cryo treated 4.11's installed. Sooo much more low end. It's great. Only problem is they whine pretty bad when coasting. I'm hoping they quiet down after a couple of miles.

So, now I need to get those little speedometer gears to fix the speedo reading. Where do you find these, Is it just at the dealer or is it available online?

Also, which one would I need for 235/75 and 4.11s?

With the 3.55's and 235/75r15's the speedo read 100% correct to my gps, which boggled me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all these mods work together to affect my efficiency. I'll report back when I get some data.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Deathkota
Amateur

Originally Posted by volaredon
find a different mechanic I was an alignment guy 18 years and never had trouble getting Dakotas aligned unless something was bad (ie. springs) or modified (lifted or lowered)
I don't know about your area, but every alignment shop in San Diego that I've seen is full of dolts.

If it isn't 100% factory, they don't know what to do. Even slightly oversized tires gets some of them twitching. lol No one knows how to do it by hand anymore, if it won't work on the machine.....it won't align. Bullshizzle, I say.

Maybe I should fly you out to align my truck.

Quick Reply: 3.9 Modifications and Economy